x

How do I set up reminders on automatic and recurring payments?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Reminders on automatic and recurring payments

I would like to send a "5 days before" reminder to customers that their automatic and recurring payment will be charged to their card on file.

Message 1 of 17
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Reminders on automatic and recurring payments

@awa I see what you're talking about now. 

It's weird, if you select "Send Invoice by email" as the Invoice method it will allow you to setup reminders and your customer can add their card to be automatically charged for the remaining invoices. I'll make sure to flag this to the Invoices Team. 

I've also gone ahead and moved this thread to the feature request board, so we can track all of the feedback in one place. 🙂

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hello @ELOrlando, Helen here stepping in for Chad!

You can edit reminders and add a message for a reminder from the Invoices section of your online Dashboard. Click InvoicesDefaults > then click Edit Reminders. To add a message, click the three dots to the right of your reminder.

You can also view a preview of your invoices before sending one:

• From the Invoices section of your online Dashboard click Create Invoice > enter the details > click Preview at the top of the screen.
  • From the Square app tap Invoices > Create Invoice > enter the details and scroll all the way down > tap Preview
️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

This would be a great feature to add!

Message 2 of 17

Hello @awa and @Twistedhornmead

You can do this right now on Square Invoices! When creating an Invoice you'll see the option to add an automatic reminder under more options. From here you can customize how many days in advance you want the reminder to be sent out at. 

If you have questions one how to set this up, please feel free to reach out to me! 

Message 3 of 17

Thank you for the response! I do use this feature in regular invoices. I’m looking to do it with recurring automatic credit card charges. This option isn’t available for these type of invoices. 

Message 4 of 17

@awa I see what you're talking about now. 

It's weird, if you select "Send Invoice by email" as the Invoice method it will allow you to setup reminders and your customer can add their card to be automatically charged for the remaining invoices. I'll make sure to flag this to the Invoices Team. 

I've also gone ahead and moved this thread to the feature request board, so we can track all of the feedback in one place. 🙂

Message 5 of 17

Thank you so much, Chad! I was able to download an extension called “boomerang for gmail” which will allow me to schedule and send reminder emails when I want for my auto billed clients. But having Square for all my services would be preferred and awesome. 

Message 6 of 17

Is there a way to customize payment reminders for invoices?

I'd like to edit the language in the email, and I'd also like to preview how the email will look to my customers @Chad

Message 7 of 17
Admin

Best Answer

Hello @ELOrlando, Helen here stepping in for Chad!

You can edit reminders and add a message for a reminder from the Invoices section of your online Dashboard. Click InvoicesDefaults > then click Edit Reminders. To add a message, click the three dots to the right of your reminder.

You can also view a preview of your invoices before sending one:

• From the Invoices section of your online Dashboard click Create Invoice > enter the details > click Preview at the top of the screen.
  • From the Square app tap Invoices > Create Invoice > enter the details and scroll all the way down > tap Preview
️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 8 of 17

Hello Helen,

I would like to request the similar feature for the recurring payments where payment method is selected as 'Charge *** ending in ' instead of 'send invoice by email'.

It is time consuming for us to send separate reminder emails to those customers.

Please let me know if there is any update regarding this feature!

Message 9 of 17

This only seems to work if i'm emailing an Invoice. I have the customers card on file and they would like to be notified the day before their card is charged. The have a payment plan and pay monthly. Unfortunately the amounts are not the same so i can't use Recurring or Split

Message 10 of 17
Square Community Moderator

Hey @AJH! Welcome to the Community.

You are correct that this reminder feature is only included with the Invoices.

There's not a way to send one for just charging a card on file. I do see how that would be useful though and I'd be happy to pass this suggestion along!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 11 of 17

Can you not do it on Memberships that are purchased?  Memberships are just purchased not sent by invoice, but I have memberships active and need to make sure the reoccurring payments are collected.

Message 12 of 17

I have sent out a number of invoices and found that they are now being sent reminders automatically.  I did request this.  How do I turn these reminders off?

Message 13 of 17

Hey @rotaryhanalei,

It looks like this question has been answered in this thread here.

Ashley C
Message 14 of 17

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "can an email be send automatically to the customer a week an advance advising them of the charges" The author has been notified via email.

is there any way in the recurring invoices to send an automatic email to the customer few days in advance to let them know their card will be charged?

Message 15 of 17

I have tried several times to set up an automatic payment. Followed the directions from square to do so, have a card already on file, and when it sends the invoice it says "unpaid" instead of automatically charging the card on file.  Help!

Message 16 of 17

Hey there @acox

The only option to do automatic payments resides with Recurring Invoices. Once the first invoice is sent, the customer must elect to leave their card on file. It would allow the automatic payment for future invoices. 

I moved your post over to a board with similar questions and replies on this issue. 

Could you let me know what steps you used to try and set it up?

I will keep an eye out for  your reply. 

Kassi
Message 17 of 17