x

How to change personal name not business name?

How to change personal name not business name?

I need help with this too, but the only option I can find under "Personal Information" is to change my business name. I have a typo and would like to correct It without having to start over with my online shop, etc. 

1 Verified Answer
EJ_
Verified Answer

Re: How to change personal name not business name?

@CKinkade Sorry for the late reply here,

Unfortunately you aren’t able to edit the legal name you used to activate your Square account. If you'd like to fix a typo with your activation name, you'll need to create a new Square account.

Fortunately the activation name is not public facing in any way. 

227 Comments

@kellyj why after all these years has Square not addressed and fixed the issue? Most of our posts go ignored, every other financial entity is able to change legal names. You have so many members operating under illegal names as well as operating under names no longer associated with the companies involved. I have paperwork signed by a judge in my state with my legal full name yet Square refuses to update my account. Why is this? @isabelle 

Well I finally created a new account with my correct legal name. Now I keep getting a error I can't be verified?? What is up with that? It says to login under a previous name etc but why do I want to put that and once again have the wrong legal name on my account. Any help would be appreciated!

I emailed Square and below was the reply I received, again not fixing the issue:

Thanks so much for reaching out to us about this. I'm Lily and I'm one of the reps at Square here to help you out.

I took a look, and see that your last application to accept cards with Square was not approved, and I don’t have the ability to offer you any additional chances to apply. Because Square offers a limited number of application attempts, this decision is final.

The questions you see during the activation flow are populated by an identity verification system and must be answered in order to sign up for our service. Square is required by our banking partners to verify the identity of all customers who process credit cards using our services.

For your privacy and account security, I don’t have access to the activation questions or to your responses. Please know that all information submitted to Square by our account holders is encrypted and sent to our servers securely. We will never share your information with third-party vendors.

However, I do see that you already have an a different, active account with Square, and you should have no issues continuing to use this account. If you are interested in separating payments on your Square account between two locations/two different bank accounts, you can always create a second location from your Dashboard!

If you have any questions about creating a location, please feel free to write back, and I'll be happy to help.

I am having the same issues.

Has anyone recognized that it is mainly WOMEN that are needing this basic service change, mostly due to marriage or divorce? Not providing this is discriminatory. Square, you are taking the fees we pay, but you are not providing us with basic service.

Square,  We matter. Heads up, someone told me they were considering a class action (?) Has anyone else heard this, I might be wrong in the term.. 

I just came back to Square to start using my account after several years, and I'm amazed that this is even a problem. I'm transgender and I legally changed my name over a year ago. All of my ID and bank accounts have my updated name. It's absolutely wild to me that Square can't change such a basic / fundamental account detail. I'm sure there's some technical reason for this, which, were it explained anywhere in this thread, would at least give me some sense that Square understands the issue and has a ticket open somewhere to refactor the related code. In the meantime, it feels pretty rotten to get deadnamed every time I sign in to a service offered by a company I'm supposed to trust with my money.

Admin

Hey @ArgyleWerewolf, thank you for this important feedback. We surfaced your post internally and—while I can't access and share out more specifics right now—I can confirm that this is something that we are working to address.

We will announce any developments as they become available. Please keep in touch.

How is it that just about every online financial account I use, has a common feature of simply updating your name? Currently my Square account has my old married name, which isn't my correct current name. (It's currently on my Square Debit card.) Pay Pal, at least lets you upload documents to prove/verify your name change with legal ID and marriage certificate etc. PLUS there is a place on Square for your Square Business section in settings that lets you upload your ID and utility bill (plus an array of other docs if you like -that are not required) to prove you are and your address to verify who you are and your address. Why can't this be used as well to update names etc? (Which by the way -is my current and legal last name -which is what I want to be reflected on my account going forward) I have so much already set up on my Square account and it would be such a huge hassle to have to set it up ALL OVER AGAIN. I really like Square and how it has really helped out with my exhibit day -when normally the financial info would get lost in the hustle and bustle of those exhibit days. So, I do Thank Square fo continuing to make this service a step above why I don't use other services. With that said, I really look forward to this update that Square -I believe can do. Since their rates went up -I feel this is the least they can do for us -for continued Square members.
Admin

Hey @FlorAlita99.

Thanks for your post in this thread. We know this is a limitation that is incredibly inconvenient. 

I can confirm, it is our #1 feature request from our sellers. Rightfully so. We're working hard to make this feature available as soon as we can. We really appreciate your patience while we work to make this a seamless process in the future. 

I believe that Square needs to change some things, I own the company, I own the bank account, but when I registered for the business, I was under the assumption that I could not have more than one account under my name so I actually registered the account in his name. Now I cannot change it unless I create a new account. This is nuts, they need to make it so that husband and wife can transfer accounts. Why would I want to open up a new account with all the same information and then what do I do with all the money that will be coming in from automatic payments? Huh? What do we do then?.

I've been asking for this change for at least 3 years. Others were asking before me. It's blatantly obvious Square has no intention on implementing this incredibly simple change. As many have noted, you can change your name on every single other type of financial (and others) accounts except Square. If I can change the name on the Deed to my home, why is Square refusing to make this possible? My business is operating under a name that is not legally mine. Time to find another software, there are so many options and in today's day of competition Square certainly does not hold the monopoly. @isabelle