x

How to change personal name not business name?

How to change personal name not business name?

I need help with this too, but the only option I can find under "Personal Information" is to change my business name. I have a typo and would like to correct It without having to start over with my online shop, etc. 

1 Verified Answer
EJ_
Verified Answer

Re: How to change personal name not business name?

@CKinkade Sorry for the late reply here,

Unfortunately you aren’t able to edit the legal name you used to activate your Square account. If you'd like to fix a typo with your activation name, you'll need to create a new Square account.

Fortunately the activation name is not public facing in any way. 

227 Comments

If I can cancel my account will I be able to create a new one wit the same email but the correct name?

Square Community Moderator

Hi @windybeer! Welcome to the Community.

You'll want to be sure to change the email on the old account to something else first because you won't be able to use the same email for both accounts. 

I can’t believe you can do all these amazing changes and you can’t change owners of squares name!  We bought our old partner out, we have authorization and all all messages come addressed to him!  Really offensive 

Beta Member

Today I received an email that I can order a Square Card to access my funds more quickly. I clicked on the link and was disappointed to see that the information there was the original name that I had 7+ years ago. It's not my legal name any more and it's not the name my bank uses any more. I have waited for 7 years to be able to change my name. I don't wish to open a whole new account as I have a thriving business and I use square regularly for the last 7+ years. I don't want to lose all the valuable information I have in my current account. I cannot understand why there isn't a way to submit legal name change documents (marriage, divorce, adoption, etc.) to have that changed. So I cannot order a card and my former name still shows up on business items. I hoep you know how frustrating this is. When will this be fixed? You keep adding all these great new products and items but this MAJOR issue for a lot of people hasn't been addressed. 

Alumni

Hey @coastalclick - I see your point and am really sorry for the headache this is causing. The ability to change the activation name with Square is a popular ask and has already been bubbled up to the appropriate channels. Thanks for your continued patience while we work towards a solution. 

I don't have a promise date on when this option will become available but you'll be the first to know if anything changes on this thread. 

@JustinC As an admin for this company can you not see the huge frustration this causes for Square's clients? We ARE Square's clients and they treat us with such disrespect on this issue. Nearly all our complaints go unanswered or we get the generalized "apologies, working on it...etc".  I'm not an IT expert by any means, but if I can change my name on my life insurance, the deed to my home, several bank accounts, social security, etc with hardly a hassle, why is Square refusing to offer this service?  A lot of us are operating under illegal names. I cannot sign my name as it shows up on Square, I cannot get a loan as is shows up on Square, my clients don't know me by that name.  The list of frustrations goes on.  We would love an actual REAL answer! 

I'm sorry, NOTHING is "not possible".  It is a simple matter of programming.  And caring about serving your customers.

It's frustrating that Square still can't change the name. I am also trans and not wanting to get deadnamed. This is ridiculous!

Can you please provide me with the contact information for your legal team?

I'm going to intentionally add to this cluster f**k and say I'm another one of Square's clients affected by this lack of ability. And my name didn't change because of a marriage, meaning my entire name from first to last changed - think of it like self orchestrated witness protection.

Sure having my name seldom used/seen is one thing but where this affects me is I also went to order the debit card to access my funds and there it was, my dead old name that I disgrace so much. Now it's not only an inconvenience because a huge company won't put all their resources into fixing it, instead I'm being expected to carry a debit card with a legal name that no longer belongs to me. And what do I do if someplace asks me for identification? I've changed so many legal documents that I personally can't even prove that I'm my old name. So I'm screwed!