x

How to change personal name not business name?

How to change personal name not business name?

I need help with this too, but the only option I can find under "Personal Information" is to change my business name. I have a typo and would like to correct It without having to start over with my online shop, etc. 

1 Verified Answer
EJ_
Verified Answer

Re: How to change personal name not business name?

@CKinkade Sorry for the late reply here,

Unfortunately you aren’t able to edit the legal name you used to activate your Square account. If you'd like to fix a typo with your activation name, you'll need to create a new Square account.

Fortunately the activation name is not public facing in any way. 

227 Comments

I want to change the the owner name on my account. I recently purchased the business and I don't want the old owner's name on the account. Why is there no option to change it?

@EJ_ 

"Fortunately the activation name is not public facing in any way. "

this is not true... in appointments this is the name people see. Why can't we change this? We just have to make an entirely new account??

I have never received any feedback from Square concerning the name as owner of the account. I am the owner of the business and my husbands' name was the name on as owner. I feel that if you can prove that the company is in fact in your name you should be awarded the option of changing the name. The business license is in my name and so is the bank account, so what the heck is the difference? And to top that off, their fee went 1% to 1.5% for instant transfer. They should agree to the name change of ownership

Is there a way for me to change my name on my account? I recently got divorced and went back to my maiden name.

Admin

Hey @Dori-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

As of right now, we don't have a way to edit the account owner name on a Square account 😔.

The only option right now is to create a new Square account. Once you set up your new account, you can transfer over your item library and any other necessary information.

This is a feature we're working on, and hoping to make available to our sellers in the future. I went ahead and moved your post over to this thread to prevent duplicate question posts. Thanks again. 

it’s ridiculous that this day in time we cannot change our personal name. I mean how hard is it? With so many people getting married, divorced or whatever the reason is that they change their name there should be a way to be able to change it in the system. I mean come on!

My thing is that the company is my company, When started Square it was put under my husband's name because I already had an account with square. Now I need to change ownership of the account. What erks me is the fact that I cannot change the account holder's name to mine without closing the account and opening a new one. 

It is only with Square that I have this issue, If you do not believe that the account is mine then I will send you bank statements even showing me as a DBA. 

My Square will be in the garbage after being smashed with a hammer, and I will never contemplate using this user-unfriendly app again.  When your clientele comes to you with numerous complaints about something, the correct business practice is to get off your posterior and FIX IT or you no longer deserve to make money on it. God I love capitalism - the public will tank you by going elsewhere. 

@Ironwing have you found something you like better? Would love to know as I’m looking to change for this very same reason. This is pure laziness from square.

@susangibson We moved to PayPal. They have a card reader, and for us they offer a non-profit swipe rate. We no longer use Square because of this issue (not being able to change the name on the account).