x

How to change personal name not business name?

How to change personal name not business name?

I need help with this too, but the only option I can find under "Personal Information" is to change my business name. I have a typo and would like to correct It without having to start over with my online shop, etc. 

1 Verified Answer
EJ_
Verified Answer

Re: How to change personal name not business name?

@CKinkade Sorry for the late reply here,

Unfortunately you aren’t able to edit the legal name you used to activate your Square account. If you'd like to fix a typo with your activation name, you'll need to create a new Square account.

Fortunately the activation name is not public facing in any way. 

227 Comments

Soooooo how do i Get a square card if I cant change my name to my legal name? i got married and all of my identification shows my married name but the account is in my maiden name? and DONT tell me to get a new account because that is just ridiculous. ive read this entire thread and it goes back to at least 2017. how is it 2020 and this is still an issue?! ive had my account for years but now im thinking of looking into something else if you cant even accomodate a simple name change.

Admin

Hi @kemccreary- Check the verified answer on this thread which addresses your question.

Admin

Hey @Desserts08-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community. Apologies for how long it took for me to get back to you. 

I went ahead and reached out to the Product Team here at Square. While this is a highly requested feature, we have not implemented a way to automate this quite yet. I realize that this isn't ideal and can be inconvenient. I wish I could provide some sort of release date or timeline, but that's not something we can share publicly at this time. Thanks for your time, and I'll make sure to follow up in this thread if I hear any news or updates regarding this feature. 

Just my first name is spelled incorrectly I would have to deactivate the account?? The incorrect spelling is sent to customers for appointment verification- 

Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @PerfectPedicure

Was your name spelled incorrectly - was this whenever you signed up for your account or are you seeing it elsewhere? 

I will keep an eye out for your reply👀

This is just a suggestion!

I have changed my legal name but unfortunately there is no way to make those changes on square account, in order to that you will have to close your account and open a new one! Since I have a loan through square capital that option is off the table, I need to pay off my loan first then close the account and open a new one. 
I think it is very easy to add the name change option to avoid all these steps, all we need to to submit a legal document.

Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Garen! Thanks for joining us here on the Seller Community! We are happy to have you.

I've merged your post with an existing thread of Sellers who were also voicing support for a more formal process of legal name changes on their account. This merge helps us keep track of requests from a record keeping standpoint.

We hope to have some positive updates on this front soon. We appreciate your patience!

@Joe  I think that answer is getting old.  This really isn't a difficult task is it?  I mean it's more difficult and tedious for your customers to completely close an account, esp for Appointments booked out months ahead to do a name change and go back and add ALL of our customers back, and ALL their information back, AND all of our settings back in the sake of changing ONE last name, or a first name  because we don't clients seeing our FULL legal name.  I don't use my first name I go by my middle name and now my clients end up more confused than anything for the past THREE years as to who my first name is and why is THAT person doing their dog and not me?  I'm not particularly fond of my first name and I'd rather not use it and now I"m in the process of getting my last name changed.  It's simple..give us the option to go in and change our names without making a ton of changes to everything else???   How is that so hard???   I'm really beginning think Square doesn't listen to their customers at all?   This person has a loan to pay off withYOU and can't change their legal name until it's paid off now?  Just let us change our names!!   

I would like to see a lawsuit happen as well. I have reached out to ACLU. Im getting ready to contact Lamda Legal as well. No more excuses..

I have contacted ACLU and will be contacting Lambda Legal. Your time is up square, you have abused it..