x
Highlighted
Square

Re: How to change personal name not business name?

@valdiedrich You're correct here. 

Unfortunately there's not a way to edit the legal name you used to activate your Square account. Creating a new account would be the only way to do this. 

Message 11 of 145
Highlighted

That's messed up guys. I have a legal name change as well and use Square for payroll so I don't want my old name appearning anywhere in my account. Perhaps you are able to make the change now?

Message 12 of 145
Highlighted
Admin

@WilliamA I'm afraid it's not possible to edit the legal name used to create a Square account. I'm checking in with our Payroll team to see what implications this has if you're using Square Payroll. I'll post again here as soon as I have more information! 

Helen
Seller Community Manager, Square
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 13 of 145
Highlighted

I'm sorry, NOTHING is "not possible".  It is a simple matter of programming.  And caring about serving your customers.

Message 14 of 145
Highlighted

it’s ridiculous that this day in time we cannot change our personal name. I mean how hard is it? With so many people getting married, divorced or whatever the reason is that they change their name there should be a way to be able to change it in the system. I mean come on!

Message 15 of 145
Highlighted
Admin

Hey @WilliamA, I'm following up for @Helen

We are able to change the legal tax payer name in Payroll! You will need to reach out to our support team for assistance though. 

I hope this helps! 😃

Message 16 of 145
Highlighted

My thing is that the company is my company, When started Square it was put under my husband's name because I already had an account with square. Now I need to change ownership of the account. What erks me is the fact that I cannot change the account holder's name to mine without closing the account and opening a new one. 

It is only with Square that I have this issue, If you do not believe that the account is mine then I will send you bank statements even showing me as a DBA. 

Message 17 of 145
Highlighted
Admin

You're welcome @BillD

Helen
Seller Community Manager, Square
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 18 of 145
Highlighted

I've been back and forth with them about this too, I explained that its technically fraud, as they are using a name that is no longer mine! I don't see why its not a problem for the courts, banks, social security admininstration.... but not square? Makes NO sense. Also, watch out if you move your business, and hit "new Location" because it will create a duplicate location that you can also never delete. Even if you've never processed payments or done anything with it... its there forever! I love the comment above.... if you make a typo, just create a new account! Geez. I guess I'll just cancel my capital loan, transport all my appointments, clients and payroll because I hit the wrong button 2 years ago. I'm not understanding why they can't edit their own program. No one is giving any reasons, which is why we're all so frustrated. Maybe if you explained why this is your policy, it would help us at least understand your nonsense!

Message 19 of 145
Highlighted
Square

Hi @Discodolls

I know the idea of creating a new account can seem extreme, but moving your Capital plan is easy. If you wish to create a new account, we can link your Capital plan to your new Square account. For more information about linking accounts toward repayment, you can visit our Support Center or reach out directly to have us link your accounts. 

Message 20 of 145