x

How to change personal name not business name?

How to change personal name not business name?

I need help with this too, but the only option I can find under "Personal Information" is to change my business name. I have a typo and would like to correct It without having to start over with my online shop, etc. 

1 Verified Answer
EJ_
Verified Answer

Re: How to change personal name not business name?

@CKinkade Sorry for the late reply here,

Unfortunately you aren’t able to edit the legal name you used to activate your Square account. If you'd like to fix a typo with your activation name, you'll need to create a new Square account.

Fortunately the activation name is not public facing in any way. 

227 Comments
Admin

You're welcome @BillD

I've been back and forth with them about this too, I explained that its technically fraud, as they are using a name that is no longer mine! I don't see why its not a problem for the courts, banks, social security admininstration.... but not square? Makes NO sense. Also, watch out if you move your business, and hit "new Location" because it will create a duplicate location that you can also never delete. Even if you've never processed payments or done anything with it... its there forever! I love the comment above.... if you make a typo, just create a new account! Geez. I guess I'll just cancel my capital loan, transport all my appointments, clients and payroll because I hit the wrong button 2 years ago. I'm not understanding why they can't edit their own program. No one is giving any reasons, which is why we're all so frustrated. Maybe if you explained why this is your policy, it would help us at least understand your nonsense!

Square

Hi @Discodolls

I know the idea of creating a new account can seem extreme, but moving your Capital plan is easy. If you wish to create a new account, we can link your Capital plan to your new Square account. For more information about linking accounts toward repayment, you can visit our Support Center or reach out directly to have us link your accounts. 

I used Helen’s suggestion. I went to Locations and changed the business name. So far so good.

Whoever said your "personal name" doesn't show up is full of you know what.  Okay, I am a dog groomer, I have Square appointments.  BEFORE I signed up to take payments through square my name showed up as "Beth", like it should.  When I signed up to take payments it flipped my display name over to "Marguerite",  WHICH I do NOT want to use or be seen to the public as..  BUT it has anyway and now I'm reading that I can't change  ANY of this unless I use a whole nother account?? I have an ENTIRE year of appointments booked and you want me to just lose all of those and re enter them all again and send all my clients an email they have appointments for the year.. AGAIN???   Is there not a more simple way to do t his!?!?!  THIS is confusing the hell out of my clients and no.. NONE of that was mentioned since I was using the Appointments FIRST, BEFORE switching over to the whole shebang to accept CC payments through Square.    Why y'all gotta make things so complicated???  Put an option for the OWNER that is offering a service to show what NAME IS DISPLAYED TO CLIENTS!!!! 

Square Community Moderator

Hi @txgroomer

You should be able to change your display name for your Appointments Booking Page through your Appointments Staff section. 

This would prevent your activation name from showing up for your booking clients. 

Let me know if you need more help with this or if it's not showing up for you for any reason.

Yeah I tried it keeps showing up as Marguerite because I signed up to take payments AFTER I set up my appointment account so now it says I can't change the name. Or I try and still shows up as Marguerite.  You tell me. 

Square Community Moderator

@txgroomer Sorry to hear this is giving you so much trouble. 

We might have to walk through this with you to get this resolved. 

Give our Support Team a call and we'll get you taken care of. 

I AM SO UPSET ABOUT THIS!!

I have TWO legal name change documents. I am an Australian citizen and have legally changed my surname in Australia

(process required when marriage was overseas)

AND

I got divorced in the US and have the judges order to restore me to my maiden name!

Just ONE of these documents is sufficient for Social Security, DMV, ALL of my bank accounts and credit cards (I have about 12)

and Paypal

BUT NOT SQUARE??

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "How do I change the information associated with my account?" The author has been notified via email.

I would like to know how to change the name and personal information linked to my account.