x

How to change personal name not business name?

How to change personal name not business name?

I need help with this too, but the only option I can find under "Personal Information" is to change my business name. I have a typo and would like to correct It without having to start over with my online shop, etc. 

1 Verified Answer
EJ_
Verified Answer

Re: How to change personal name not business name?

@CKinkade Sorry for the late reply here,

Unfortunately you aren’t able to edit the legal name you used to activate your Square account. If you'd like to fix a typo with your activation name, you'll need to create a new Square account.

Fortunately the activation name is not public facing in any way. 

227 Comments

I just got told you cant change your name and that is the stupidist thing I have ever heard. Thinking of shutting my account down and going with someone else.

In order to hide my "official legal" name that I use on my bank accounts which is my first name I NEVER go by has caused so much **bleep** confusion with my clients.  In order to change my name I have to add yet another staff as my name I go by and go change all my appointments booked for the year to the other name.  Ridiculous. 

Hi--I read through this thread & am still unclear.  I am a one stop shop employee...emails and stuff are still coming through with the old gal's name on them.  I am the new person.  But can't get her name off and don't want to start a new account.  We want all the records together in the same log.  Do I need to contact Customer Service?

There is no way to change the name. I called them and they would not change the name.

So what happens when someone is fired and someone new is hired?  That person didn't keep the cell phone and Square chip reader.  

You are suppose to be able to cha ge oyher people's name you just can't change the main account holders name. See I got married and cant change my last name to my new last name.

Its frustrating that we cannot change our account ownership name but you can change how it is displayed to people- if you go to appointments- staff- then click your name it will let you change “Display Name

Replaces staff name on booking site and all client communication.”  under the calendar colors. Hope this helps- I was able to at least change my last name visible to my clients here 

Hi, I deactivated my account to change the owner's name as suggested.  Now I am trying to create a new account but it says our email address is already in use.  I can't even get through to anyone on the phone because I can't sign in.  Please help!

Admin

Hey @sinbanwine, welcome to the seller community and sorry to hear about the trouble getting set up!

I went to check on this and it looks like you were able to get in touch with a team member by the time we got to your post. If you're still encountering any account-specific issues, please let our Customer Success team know. Hope everything got sorted out. 🙂

Changing the business name doesn't change the name that appears in the Appointments calendar. And I can't add a staff member, because I operate my business by myself, and I don't have the paid membership. There's no call for that extra $50/month. It's just me. And like so many in this thread, I don't do business as my legal name. I have a different name for massage clients. It adds a layer of boundaries and is common business practice in my industry. My clients all know me as the nickname, not my legal first name, which I don't plan to share. I also can't just create a new account and set the name there, because it won't get authorized by square as my real name. So, unless I can change how my staff-of-one username appears in the calendar, I'm going to have to go with another company. This is very inconvenient. There really should be a way to be able to choose what name you give to the general public. If you can help, that would be great.