x
CKinkade

How to change personal name not business name?

I need help with this too, but the only option I can find under "Personal Information" is to change my business name. I have a typo and would like to correct It without having to start over with my online shop, etc. 

Message 1 of 94
1 Verified Answer
EJ_
Verified Answer

Re: How to change personal name not business name?

@CKinkade Sorry for the late reply here,

Unfortunately you aren’t able to edit the legal name you used to activate your Square account. If you'd like to fix a typo with your activation name, you'll need to create a new Square account.

Fortunately the activation name is not public facing in any way. 

93 REPLIES 93
Admin

@CKinkade Sorry for the late reply here,

Unfortunately you aren’t able to edit the legal name you used to activate your Square account. If you'd like to fix a typo with your activation name, you'll need to create a new Square account.

Fortunately the activation name is not public facing in any way. 

Message 2 of 94
TeddyJam

I am another one that has a personal name legal name change.  I will call support when they are open to see if they can do this.  The public may not see it, but I see it and hopefully can get this changed without opening up another account.  My bank changed my name, so I'm sure there is a way for Square to do it to..

Message 3 of 94
valdiedrich

The activation name IS visible to the public because it is also my employee name. When I got married, I attempted to update my employee record with my new name, because customers see it every day in transactions. The system told me I could not update my employee name because it is linked to the activation name. I cannot update my name without closing my account.

Message 4 of 94
Admin

@valdiedrich You're correct here. 

Unfortunately there's not a way to edit the legal name you used to activate your Square account. Creating a new account would be the only way to do this. 

Message 5 of 94
WilliamA

That's messed up guys. I have a legal name change as well and use Square for payroll so I don't want my old name appearning anywhere in my account. Perhaps you are able to make the change now?

Message 6 of 94
Admin

@WilliamA I'm afraid it's not possible to edit the legal name used to create a Square account. I'm checking in with our Payroll team to see what implications this has if you're using Square Payroll. I'll post again here as soon as I have more information! 

Message 7 of 94
Ironwing

I'm sorry, NOTHING is "not possible".  It is a simple matter of programming.  And caring about serving your customers.

Message 8 of 94
Admin

Hey @WilliamA, I'm following up for @Helen

We are able to change the legal tax payer name in Payroll! You will need to reach out to our support team for assistance though. 

I hope this helps! 😃

Message 9 of 94
Admin

You're welcome @BillD

Message 10 of 94