x
Beta Member

Indigenous Tax Exemptions

I have requested this feature earlier this year, and I am sad to see it is still not an option. We need an option at checkout for tax exemptions. 

We need to be able to separate our the PST from the GST (so no PST is charged when they show their status card). We also need a spot to type in the tax exemption card # for reporting to the government. 

Please. This should be mandatory. We feel awful not being able to offer this.

(I am aware tax can be separated out, but we have over 1000 products and many with no tax--food items--- and to separate it out now and redo everything would be an actual nightmare...plus there is still no where to record the card number). 

Message 1 of 12
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Indigenous Tax Exemptions

I've gone ahead and filed an official request for this feature after also bubbling it up directly to the team that works on the Square Online product. If we become aware of any changes to these tax settings, we'll be sure to update you here.

Thank you for flagging this again, @EarthMarket 🌍 

11 REPLIES 11

I have not been able to figure out how to run a report that will show the seperation of the PST and GST collected.  Any help is appreciated.  Thank you 

Message 2 of 12
Alumni

Hey @Ageless, You can see a separation of those totals in the Taxes Report from Dashboard. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 3 of 12

Thank you for your reply. When I look at reports - tax reports - it just shows “tax collected” it doesn’t separate the two taxes and I cant find a filter that will do this either.  I am wondering if something is possibly configured incorrectly.

Message 4 of 12
Alumni

Hmm, did you already create PST/GST taxes in Dashboard under Items and differentiate them as such?

@Ageless

Justin
Message 5 of 12

We are needing this split as well and have yet to find the answer!! We will have to endure the process of switching POS systems if this cannot be figured out for us Canadians 😞 

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Message 6 of 12
Beta Member

Did you ever get this figured out? I am trying to do the exact same thing and can not figure it out.

Message 7 of 12

I have both GST and PST set to collect on all items. However tax report shows 4 tax names:

AU, GST, PST, and SK.  Is there any way to get rid of AU and SK as although they don't show up on customer receipt they are showing up on reports. Exporting detailed transactions to excel doesn't show tax types and total amount charged is correct

Message 8 of 12
Alumni

@rootbound - hmm, the be must be a few transactions that have AU and SK tax collected. 

Might be best to ask CS about this one, they have visibility into your reports and are able to comb through them to locate the tax in your transactions. 

Justin
Message 9 of 12
Alumni

Hi there @EarthMarket 🌎 

We want to make sure we're on the same page here!

Do you want buyers to be able indicate tax exempt status at checkout and then not be charged tax?
It might help if you could show us an example of another seller or website that has the feature you are looking for!

Valentina
Message 10 of 12
Beta Member

I'm not sure of a website, but many POS systems have it, especially in Canada. 

They present their status card at checkout, and we need the ability to remove the PST portion of the tax, since they are exempt...but also a place to record their card #, as you are supposed to for government tax purposes in case of an audit. They need to see why you didnt charge tax to that person. We have 2 people we cannot offer this to right now, and likely more may end up shopping with us. All other stores they have no problem. 

Message 11 of 12
Alumni

I've gone ahead and filed an official request for this feature after also bubbling it up directly to the team that works on the Square Online product. If we become aware of any changes to these tax settings, we'll be sure to update you here.

Thank you for flagging this again, @EarthMarket 🌍 

Valentina
Message 12 of 12