x

Is there a way to change an uncategorized item to a category after the sale transaction?

Is there a way to change an uncategorized item to a category after the sale transaction?

I need to change an item that was sold as uncategorized to a category. How can I do that? 

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Categories

@ruckdmc At this time there isn't a way to go back and change or add a category to a past sale.

In the meantime, you can add your items to categories so that your reports will be accurate in future. After you create a category > go to the Items section of your Dashboard > click on an item > click Category to select your new category. 

94 Comments

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Adding a Category to a custom amount transaction

Is it possible to assign a category to a custom amount in the square pos? 

For reporting all of my custom amounts are showing up as Uncategorized.

Super Seller

there is not a way to do that with custom amounts.  It is best not to use custom amounts and rather choose an item that is assigned to a category if you want to have searchable records and attributable data.

Given that this is 2.5 years later and the discussion is still open, I assume this is another classic Square situation that could easily be resolved but won't be. My list of these is ever-growing and Square seems to just disregard user requests entirely. Anyway, the inability to recategorize items after the fact renders the Square reports by category absolutely useless. Sometimes our employees forget to enter the category for an item when creating it, which means those items get marked "uncategorized" forever. I just had to manually separate every uncatergorized item from 2018 in excel to get any meaningful data out of it. It would be much easier to just quickly recategorize those items in Square and run the report. But alas... if someone out there has suggestions for other POS/credit card processing companies that actually take user feedback into account and take the time to improve their platform, I would be interested in hearing about those.

Square Community Moderator

Hi @Bieredemel

As of right now we have no plans to add the ability to change or edit transaction information after a sale is complete. 

That doesn't mean that can't change in the future, and I want to assure you that we are definitely advocating for this on your behalf, as it  make sense from a reporting perspective. 

Hopefully one of your fellow sellers can share a workaround that they currently use. If anything changes, we'll be sure to update everyone, 

This is crazy to me that you haven't created a way to CORRECT a sale when one of your employees incorrectly posts a sale.  For example: Sold one bracelet for $22.00.  My staff member gets flustered because the person is in a hurry and processes the sale as miscellaneous instead of bracelet.  Now for all of 2019 my reports will be wrong because I can't go back and correctly assign the sale to bracelets? So you are assuming no one ever makes a mistake? Or that if you have an employee who makes one its ok to have a report that is incorrect?  I have $7,0000+ of transactions that are booked to the wrong category/item.  So basically my reports from square are now worthless for purposes of correctly evaluating sales by category/item.  Sales clerks make mistake.  It happens.  

I love using Square for so many reasons, ease of use, affordability, remote access to view sales transactions.  But if there is no way to correct inacurrate entries as my business grows at some point I'll have to look at changing to a system that can accommodate my real world needs.  Even Quickbooks allows you to change a booked category at admin level.

I understand the issue of not wanting to change a sale after the fact but certainly there are work around options you could consider maybe in the closing of drawer for the day, like credit misc category $22 and debit bracelets $22. That would allow the sale to remain the same for the credit card transaction and customer but fix our reports.  Or go into the individual sale and have a post sale change of category that shows the history. But does not allow a change in dollar amounts or date. 

PLEASE invest in creating a solution.

How about at least allowing merchants to add a merchant-only comment or flag to a transaction so that merchants can see when they are balancing their books that a transaction has been incorrectly categorized so that they know to manually adjust it outside of Square? 

Thank you for considering this suggestion. 

Admin

@Sliderman

Thanks so much for the suggest. I agree, this could be very helpful, and will definitely surface it to the Product Team! 

In the meantime, here is a little information on how our Feature Request Process works.

@kellyj, I read through that (and I've been on the other end of this process, so I get it).

I am uncertain, though: Are you suggesting that I post this idea as a NEW feature request thread? Or is sufficient to offer this possible compromise solution here? Thanks for your clarification. 

Admin

@Sliderman

This one works just fine! We've got it escalated. 😃

I just jumped on here to say that I would like this feature also. I had a bunch of items I sold that were uncategorized, but I would like to go categorize them now. I changed the items in Square to a category but it doesn't change the cateogry for previous sales of the same item. If there is someway to change this it would be great.