x

Is there a way to change an uncategorized item to a category after the sale transaction?

Is there a way to change an uncategorized item to a category after the sale transaction?

I need to change an item that was sold as uncategorized to a category. How can I do that? 

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Categories

@ruckdmc At this time there isn't a way to go back and change or add a category to a past sale.

In the meantime, you can add your items to categories so that your reports will be accurate in future. After you create a category > go to the Items section of your Dashboard > click on an item > click Category to select your new category. 

94 Comments

Square for the love - PLEASE make this an option.  Have sales that were accidently entered as uncategorized that truly need to be changed - would like to be able to change without canceling all the transactions and redoing every one of them.. This will throw off our books so much - but having uncategorized sales also throw off our books.  Please put this on the radar to be something that can be edited - the sale category would be extremely important to most business I'd think.

Beta Member

Would love this feature. We've been honing our categories and wish that our changes were retroactively applied so we could better track sales by category over time. Even something as simple as a misspelling that gets corrected throws off numbers. Or if we mis-categories something for a few days, the numbers are off. It seems like this is something easily fixed by flagging things differently on the DB side. 

Please make this an option.  It's pretty ridiculous that it isn't.  I've been a manager for 10+ in retail and all POS/Inventory management systems have the ability to change uncategorized or miscelaneous sales after the fact.  Sometimes new employees or volunteers make mistakes and it's ridiculous that we're not able to change it after the fact.  As has been stated, it wouldn't effect the customer at all but would help us all save a lot of headaches on the reporting side of things.  

I've given up on waiting. This thread was started in 2016. I'm looking to move away from Square because of this and the fact that the Woo Commerce plug-in for Square brings all transactions in as uncategorized. Square is good to start out, but as things pick up, time becomes much more valuable and fixing this issue manually wastes too much time. 

Since at least 2016 people have had this issue?  I am setting this site up for a business, so the business has to essentially do their accounting in Wix instead of Square because Square and Wix don't communicate category or even a description?  Why would I have them continue using square if it is double duty?  How has this not been fixed?

Admin

@smilesamara Thanks for sharing your experience working with this business. I can see how it's a pain point and we'll continue to advocate for this with the Partnerships team.

We'll let everyone in this thread know if there are any updates. Apologies again for the frustration this has caused.

I would like to add my name to the requests and experiencial observations listed throughout this thread.

PLEASE allow sellers to edit the category post sale so as to correct mistakes made by hired staff.

Thank you~!

Hi there,

Thank you @smilesamara, is that what I should call you? This is the only name o was given with the email response I received. I started this thread years ago. This customer service is awful. I don’t even get a real name from the person “helping” in the email.  It seems square isn’t accustom to a professional email format, or servicing the technical issues that arise with service.  Their eputation precedes, I should have known better with the awful customer service reviews. I’ll be changing services as soon as I get a chance.

Sincerely disappointed,

Porschia Denning
[PERSONAL INFORMATION REDACTED]
Owner & Operator of RainDance Art Gallery

Beta Member

I am facing the same issue of uncategorised.

is this feature is updated to edit transaction and change category name?
OR is there any way to set default category to any other name instead of "uncategorised" ?

Admin

@Sak1 I'm sorry, there isn't a way to edit a past transaction to include the category name, nor is there a way to change that default name.

If you have a lot items without a category you can quickly assign items to categories from your Square Dashboard for future transactions:

1. Sign in to your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Click Items > then click Categories.
  3. Click Assign Items and select the box next to each item that you want to be assigned to that category.