x
Kdf4616

Is there a way to change an uncategorized item to a category after the sale transaction?

I need to change an item that was sold as uncategorized to a category. How can I do that? 

Message 1 of 52
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Kelly Square

Re: Is there a way to change an uncategorized item to a category after the sale transaction?

Best Answer

@Kdf4616 Great question, we currently are unable to edit any part of a sale after a transaction has been completed, including the category. I absolutely see how this would be useful. If this is possible in future we'll update this post to let everyone know. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 52
51 REPLIES 51
Kelly Square

Re: Is there a way to change an uncategorized item to a category after the sale transaction?

Best Answer

@Kdf4616 Great question, we currently are unable to edit any part of a sale after a transaction has been completed, including the category. I absolutely see how this would be useful. If this is possible in future we'll update this post to let everyone know. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 52
RainDanceArt

Has this become resolved since this thread was started?  I need to change the category of items that have already taken place as well.

Best Regards,

Porschia Denning

Message 3 of 52
Spenser Square

Hi @RainDanceArt, we do not offer the ability to edit past transactions at this time. This isn't a feature we're currently developing but we'll update here in the Community if that changes in the future. Thanks!

Message 4 of 52
midnightmare

Please develop this. Sometimes things come in as uncategorized and it would be helpful to fix it right there. I know I cant be the only one who wants this.

Message 5 of 52
Sak1

I am facing the same issue of uncategorised.

is this feature is updated to edit transaction and change category name?
OR is there any way to set default category to any other name instead of "uncategorised" ?

Message 6 of 52
Admin

@Sak1 I'm sorry, there isn't a way to edit a past transaction to include the category name, nor is there a way to change that default name.

If you have a lot items without a category you can quickly assign items to categories from your Square Dashboard for future transactions:

1. Sign in to your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Click Items > then click Categories.
  3. Click Assign Items and select the box next to each item that you want to be assigned to that category.
Message 7 of 52
blankcityrecord

Hi @Helen , although I appreciate that your customer service acknowledges everyone’s concerns, perhaps it would be helpful to explain to everyone *why* this is not an available feature?

I’m guessing that since this thread has been active over 2 years and there has been no change, that there must be some reason that all sales info is locked post-sale. I’m sure there are many more threads about this, and it’s not hard to see why most businesses would require this feature, so some sort of explanation of why this is not an option would be helpful to all sides. 

Thanks very much!

Message 8 of 52
Bieredemel

Given that this is 2.5 years later and the discussion is still open, I assume this is another classic Square situation that could easily be resolved but won't be. My list of these is ever-growing and Square seems to just disregard user requests entirely. Anyway, the inability to recategorize items after the fact renders the Square reports by category absolutely useless. Sometimes our employees forget to enter the category for an item when creating it, which means those items get marked "uncategorized" forever. I just had to manually separate every uncatergorized item from 2018 in excel to get any meaningful data out of it. It would be much easier to just quickly recategorize those items in Square and run the report. But alas... if someone out there has suggestions for other POS/credit card processing companies that actually take user feedback into account and take the time to improve their platform, I would be interested in hearing about those.

Message 9 of 52
Admin

Hi @Bieredemel

As of right now we have no plans to add the ability to change or edit transaction information after a sale is complete. 

That doesn't mean that can't change in the future, and I want to assure you that we are definitely advocating for this on your behalf, as it  make sense from a reporting perspective. 

Hopefully one of your fellow sellers can share a workaround that they currently use. If anything changes, we'll be sure to update everyone, 

Message 10 of 52