x

Is there a way to change an uncategorized item to a category after the sale transaction?

Is there a way to change an uncategorized item to a category after the sale transaction?

I need to change an item that was sold as uncategorized to a category. How can I do that? 

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Categories

@ruckdmc At this time there isn't a way to go back and change or add a category to a past sale.

In the meantime, you can add your items to categories so that your reports will be accurate in future. After you create a category > go to the Items section of your Dashboard > click on an item > click Category to select your new category. 

94 Comments

We have two businesses in one and we only get paid for what goes in to one category. Some of our employees have made custom transactions due to the item not being made yet. Is there a way to change the item category after the transaction was already made?

Alumni

Hi @dleclear, there's no way to change the item category after the purchase. You'll have to manually note the custom transaction in your records. Sorry about that.

Square

@Kdf4616 Great question, we currently are unable to edit any part of a sale after a transaction has been completed, including the category. I absolutely see how this would be useful. If this is possible in future we'll update this post to let everyone know. 

Has this become resolved since this thread was started?  I need to change the category of items that have already taken place as well.

Best Regards,

Porschia Denning

Square

Hi @RainDanceArt, we do not offer the ability to edit past transactions at this time. This isn't a feature we're currently developing but we'll update here in the Community if that changes in the future. Thanks!

will the option of changing catergories after a transaction is complete ever be changed?

Square

Saw you other post as well so I'll chime in here too, @ML2

We don't currently offer the ability to alter past/completed transactions in any way. We're not currently developing this feature but will let you know here if that changes in the future as well. Thanks!

I found this page looking for a way to do exactly this. Often we create items to sell at the markets where we are vending, and since the Square app does not currently support changing the quantity of items or controlling inventory, we have to manually input the price of the item without any description, photo, or categorization, which doesn't help our reporting methods. 

Ideally, I would like to be able to edit inventory as easily as I can create new items. I would much rather add +1 to "Hats" than create a new category and item for it each time. But the desktop Square site should allow vendors to be able to recategorize and edit item descriptions after the fact so that our reports and stats aren't all skewed.

Alumni

Hi @RefashionedFL - thanks for the post! It's super helpful for us to hear your use case and what exactly you're looking for. You may be interested in checking out Square for Retail, which has more detailed and complex inventory options like inventory history. Let us know if you have questions! 

How can I change how a transaction is coded PRIOR to the actual transaction?  We had someone pay us for lawn mowing.  They can't run their credit car through because it is coded somewhere that says "food".  So their company thinks they are paying for groceries or food instead of the lawn maintenance.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.