x

Is there a way to create a post-tax discount?

We're looking to accept a credit voucher from a 3rd party, but want the person redeeming the voucher to pay tax on the full amount.

Message 1 of 66
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to create a post-tax discount?

Hello! While I can definitely understand how this feature could be useful in a number of scenarios, our discounts are currently only able to be applied before taxes. 

I'll be sure to share your feedback with our Product team!

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

65 REPLIES 65
Square

Hello! While I can definitely understand how this feature could be useful in a number of scenarios, our discounts are currently only able to be applied before taxes. 

I'll be sure to share your feedback with our Product team!

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 66

I wish that your team could come up with pre-tax discounts! It would make the check out process so much quicker. For example, if someone pays with a gift certificate that is exactly $50 - it would take $50 exactly off the total. As it stands, it will only take $50-plus-tax off, if you set it as a "dollar amount" discount instead of a percentage. 

As it stands, you must do a "split payment" and that takes a lot of time to do at check out. It would be so much easier to have the gift certificates, coupons, etc. listed as items in the discount field. Then, boom, the amount just comes off the total and the customer pays the remainder. 

Thanks for your consideration! 

Message 3 of 66
Square

Thanks for posting, @lesley3000, I agree it would be helpful. We'll update here should this change in the future. Let us know if you have any other questions here in the Community in the meantime!

Message 4 of 66

We'very created a special button in order to add the untaxed discount portion. We've taped a tax chart on the counter next to registers to help. After ringing in items, selecting the "discount" key, we then hit a "untaxed discount" key (make sure tax toggle turned off, then manually enter in tax on discount amou t after consulting our tax chart. It's the best we can do in order to not eat these taxes. Hope Square fixes this soon.

Our café works with a company of 250+ employees who receive a 35 percent discount on all their purchases. The company reimburses our cafe for this employee discount program. As you can imagine, the taxes lost from this volume of transactions would be substantial. Help Square!

Message 5 of 66
Admin

Hey @eCharleen, thanks for taking the time to share how this feature would streamline your workflow.

I will surface your post with our team, and point out that the ability to create a post-tax discount would ensure that you're not losing money. Please keep in touch, and we'll announce any updates!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 6 of 66

Thanks so much!

Message 7 of 66

I too would VERY much like to have this option. I didn't realize it discounted the sales taxes also until recently. I figured it may help move this request higher to the top of the "to do list" for the Square Team if I commented on this thread also. Thanks. 

Message 8 of 66
Square

Hi @225Lock and definitely thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll be sure to forward the feedback along to the team that works on development for this product. For more details on the feature request process, I'd suggest checking out this thread.

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 9 of 66

I would like to push for a post-tax discount also. As someone who sells products, our tax must be on the full price. However, once I put a discount in, they only pay tax on the remaining amount. 

Message 10 of 66

I'd like to change the settings to add tax to Shipping and Handling and then after total is shown be able to take a discount or special off the bottom of the total.  Is this possible?

Message 11 of 66

Then I'll have to use Square as a single entry not itemize. 😞

Message 12 of 66

This would also be beneficial in my business as well. 

Message 13 of 66

I need this feature too.  My customers give me a deposit for lesson bookings.  I need to show this deposit coming off the bottom line, before tax.  😞  I really want to use the itemized functionality, but I can't.

Message 14 of 66

After hitting "Charge" on the register, I'd hit the "Split" button. 

What I'd do is treat the voucher has a "Other" in the form of payments. You choose "Check", "Gift Card"; or "Other" and leave a note too. Enter the amount to be applied via the voucher.

That will leave you with a balance that can be paid via any other method.

That way the transaction will record taxes first before the payment and let you get data in the reporting.

Ifyou don't take checks or non-square gift cards, I'd choose one of those 2 options for "Other" so that you get the vouchers neatly groups together in a category.

Hope that helps!

Paul

Message 15 of 66

I agree, I often give customers discounts for certain incentives but need to charge them tax on the original retail price. I just have to do my calculations ahead of time and give them a custom invoice, rather than being able to use my system
Message 16 of 66

I want to give my customers a discount on the product itself, NOT the tax and I just realized that when I apply a discount, the tax is also discounted! This should not be happening because I pay tax based on the actual retail cost of the product NOT the discounted cost. Please help find to fix this issue.

Thank you!

Message 17 of 66
Admin

Hey @akade and welcome to the Community!

At this time discounts are applied before taxes. I've moved your post here so that you can read about the workarounds other businesses are using—hope this helps! I'll also share your feedback with our Product Team so they can see how it impacts your business.

If you have any other questions please let me know!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 18 of 66

This thread started back in early 2016, and it is now August 2017. I'm interested in seeing what progress the team is having with adding this feature. I do not have the option to SPLIT tickets in the above mentioned way around the post-tax discount unavailability. I write out a straight forward Invoice and need a way to tax the full retail price of the merchandise, but be able to give discounts to clients who I only interact with via online shopping. 

Message 19 of 66

Me too! I have to give a 15% employee discount but I need to charge tax on the full amount prior to the discount. Every way i've tried to do it, I keep getting a total with the tax discounted also!

Message 20 of 66
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this @sk8judge 

If anything changes with this we'll update everyone, as we know how important this feature is to you all. 

Message 21 of 66