x
Highlighted

Is there a way to create a post-tax discount?

We're looking to accept a credit voucher from a 3rd party, but want the person redeeming the voucher to pay tax on the full amount.

Message 1 of 61
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to create a post-tax discount?

Hello! While I can definitely understand how this feature could be useful in a number of scenarios, our discounts are currently only able to be applied before taxes. 

I'll be sure to share your feedback with our Product team!

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

60 REPLIES 60
Highlighted
Square

Hello! While I can definitely understand how this feature could be useful in a number of scenarios, our discounts are currently only able to be applied before taxes. 

I'll be sure to share your feedback with our Product team!

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Message 2 of 61
Highlighted

I wish that your team could come up with pre-tax discounts! It would make the check out process so much quicker. For example, if someone pays with a gift certificate that is exactly $50 - it would take $50 exactly off the total. As it stands, it will only take $50-plus-tax off, if you set it as a "dollar amount" discount instead of a percentage. 

As it stands, you must do a "split payment" and that takes a lot of time to do at check out. It would be so much easier to have the gift certificates, coupons, etc. listed as items in the discount field. Then, boom, the amount just comes off the total and the customer pays the remainder. 

Thanks for your consideration! 

Message 3 of 61
Highlighted
Square

Thanks for posting, @lesley3000, I agree it would be helpful. We'll update here should this change in the future. Let us know if you have any other questions here in the Community in the meantime!

Message 4 of 61
Highlighted

We'very created a special button in order to add the untaxed discount portion. We've taped a tax chart on the counter next to registers to help. After ringing in items, selecting the "discount" key, we then hit a "untaxed discount" key (make sure tax toggle turned off, then manually enter in tax on discount amou t after consulting our tax chart. It's the best we can do in order to not eat these taxes. Hope Square fixes this soon.

Our café works with a company of 250+ employees who receive a 35 percent discount on all their purchases. The company reimburses our cafe for this employee discount program. As you can imagine, the taxes lost from this volume of transactions would be substantial. Help Square!

Message 5 of 61
Highlighted
Admin

Hey @eCharleen, thanks for taking the time to share how this feature would streamline your workflow.

I will surface your post with our team, and point out that the ability to create a post-tax discount would ensure that you're not losing money. Please keep in touch, and we'll announce any updates!

Message 6 of 61
Highlighted

Thanks so much!

Message 7 of 61
Highlighted

I too would VERY much like to have this option. I didn't realize it discounted the sales taxes also until recently. I figured it may help move this request higher to the top of the "to do list" for the Square Team if I commented on this thread also. Thanks. 

Message 8 of 61
Highlighted
Square

Hi @225Lock and definitely thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll be sure to forward the feedback along to the team that works on development for this product. For more details on the feature request process, I'd suggest checking out this thread.

Message 9 of 61
Highlighted

I would like to push for a post-tax discount also. As someone who sells products, our tax must be on the full price. However, once I put a discount in, they only pay tax on the remaining amount. 

Message 10 of 61