x
Super Seller

Is there a way to limit item or category availability depending on time of day? ex. Breakfast

For online ordering, there needs to be a feature that allows restaurants to limit the availability of certain items depending on the time of day. For example, if your breakfast menu is only available until 3pm, there needs to be an option to make these items unavailable after 3pm.

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Savage Goods | @savagegoods | savagegoods.com
Message 1 of 74
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Good news, all - this feature has been built out and is ready to use!🎉

@Tom outlined how these new Time-Based Categories will function in this Product Update post, so head there to get started. Once you've applied specific day and time availabilities, the items shown to your customers as available for purchase will change automatically throughout the day and/or week, depending on your chosen days and hours for each category.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 63 of 74
73 REPLIES 73

I am setting up my online store and was hoping to make certain items only available at certain times or days. For example we have Prime Rib on Saturdays and that is only available on Saturdays. Also I have Dinner items not available before 5pm.

Is that possible?

Message 2 of 74
Alumni

Hi @Divide,

Thanks for reaching out. Currently the ability to offer items at specific times is a feature request.

We definitely see how it could benefit your business model. Our teams are constantly looking through our seller's feedback to make necessary improvements, and we will be sure to let you know if anything ever changes or if new updates are released. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions by replying to this thread. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 3 of 74
Beta Member

Just adding my name here because we would love to use this request also. Please know this would be very helpful, and would appreciate any update as to if/when this might become available! 

Message 4 of 74

I haven't been able to schedule certain items. We have to manually go in each time and change an item to either "hide" it or make it "visible"

Message 5 of 74

I'm trying to set up a lunch menu and dinner menu, can you set times for each menu's?

Message 6 of 74
Admin

Hi and welcome to the Seller Community @West94thstpub.

Regrettably there's not a way to do this, and is considered a feature request at this time. You can stay up to date on any changes around this feature here.

Thanks for posting and please let us know if any other questions come up!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 7 of 74
Beta Member

We hoped to be able to limit when particular food items could be ordered during the business day.

Business hours are set for the page in ->Pickup & Delivery : Accept Pick up orders : Hours 11am-6pm Mon-Fri.
10 minute prep time
scheduled pick up allowed

Lunch Category created with food subcategories - Set pickup and delivery order window = Mon-Fri 11am-3:45pm

Dinner Category pickup and delivery order window = Mon-Fri 4pm-6pm.

I am unable to put a lunch item in my cart today for a future day of the week - I thought I was able to do that when testing previously??

This morning (Sunday - not within business hours) I was able to put a Dinner item in my cart - and after entering customer data - I could
select a pick up day from Monday - Friday and the time options were 4pm to 6pm. Which is what I wanted it to do!!

..... but......

Now (later in the day Sunday) - when I attempt to put the same item in my cart - it is NOT selectable and says "Next Available Monday 4:00pm" - I cant put the item in the cart for any day of the week to pre-order it like I could this morning.

Additionally - I created a Daily Special category with one item and left time restrictions off - presently I can add that item to the cart (today - Sunday) but the pick up times range through all operational hours of 11am-6pm.

Anyone able to implement this type of set up?

Summary:

- Lunch Items with time limits 11am-3:45pm cannot be added to cart on Sunday for future date orders.

- Dinner Items with time limits 4pm-6pm cannot be added to cart for future dates (however when testing one time this morning it did work!?)

- Menu items with no time limits can be put in cart today for future dates -  available for pick up through all business hours

thanks for input!

Message 8 of 74
Square Community Moderator

Hey! Thanks for taking the time to post this and share your feedback. I've merged your post with an existing thread to help keep all this feedback in one place. 

AshleyK
Message 9 of 74

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Parameters for Breakfast Category

I do not want to offer my Breakfast Sandwiches category after 11am on my website. Is there a way to set a parameter to automatically stop offering that item after 11am? 

Message 10 of 74
Alumni

Hey @cafesoha  - 

Setting times restrictions for when food items are available is not doable with the Online Store. Your best bet is to to include the time frame in the item description sections so your customers know when your breakfast menu items are offered. 

Justin
Message 11 of 74

Thank you

Message 12 of 74

I know how to apply business hour to the store but is there any way to add cutoff time on certain items?  Like 11AM for breakfasts, 3PM for lunch specials, and such.  I looked everywhere but couldn't find such options.

Message 13 of 74
Alumni

There isn't way to configure cut off times for items in the Online Store right now. A popular request though. I'm moving your post to our Feature Request board so our Product Team can track. 

As a work around, you can manually make items unavailable from the Items Library tab of the Online Store Dashboard:

1. Select the items that are no longer sold for the day.

2. Hit the three dots in the top right corner

3. select Mark as Unavailable

When they're ready to be sold again, just mark them available. I hope this helps! @eight

Justin
Message 14 of 74

I appreciate your comment on this.  Marking individual item unavailable on daily basis is just way too much work.  I was hoping to see if there is a way to update the status by category but it doesn't seem like is doable either.  The fact that we can't construct our menu properly based on the time is really frustrating.  As matter of fact, we are considering to switch over to another service just for that reason.  Hopefully, dev team can address this issue quickly.

Message 15 of 74
Admin

Hey there! 👋

Just making sure you saw the launch of our Time-Based Categories feature.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 16 of 74
Admin

Good news  I've got an update on this feature request...

We've launched Time-Based Categories for Square Online! You can learn more about it here

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 17 of 74
Super Seller

This sounds like an awesome feature but it's not an option for me. There's no section for it when I edit the category. Did it go away?

Ali Kenis

Sugar Lab Bakeshop

Follow me on Instagram

Celebrating Since 2012
Message 18 of 74
Alumni

Hello @mksavage,

Thanks for your post.

Currently this ability/setting is not available and is a feature request. We definitely see how it could benefit your business model. Our teams are constantly looking through our seller's feedback to make necessary improvements, and we will be sure to let you know if anything ever changes or if new updates are released. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions by replying to this thread. 

Alex_
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 19 of 74
Super Seller

Thank you for the reply @Alex_ - do I need to do anything special to request the feature be considered, or will this post serve as a request?

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Savage Goods | @savagegoods | savagegoods.com
Message 20 of 74
Alumni

@mksavage

No worries! This post will be sufficient. We will escalate your request to the appropriate teams and make sure your voice is heard. 

Alex_
Message 21 of 74