x

How do I require the note field be completed before an employee can move forward with the sale?

How do I require the note field to be completed by the associate before the transaction can move forward?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

I want to make sure that folks who run transactions notate the necessary info into this field when they receive checks as payments. Is there a way to make it required in order to continue processing payment?

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 19
Beta Member

There is no option for that at this moment.

Message 3 of 19
Square

@Lima - Thanks for the help! 

@TGFED - While I can see how this would be useful feature, it isn't something that we currently offer. I'll be sure to share your feedback! For more background on the feature request process, check out this thread. Also, since Lima was able to answer your question, feel free to mark his answer as "Best Answer." Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 4 of 19

I would really like this feature as well.

Doubly so if you can add fields required to be choosen or entered.  Things like:

One item but can pick from a drop down of 5 colors or sizes.

A text field required to be entered to have the name to be printed on an item.

Is there an app that does any of this?

Message 5 of 19
Square

@ogexam - Welcome to the Seller Community! Have you thought about using item modifiers? You can find more details here. Hope this helps!

Sean
he/him/his
Message 6 of 19

Sorry that did not work for me...

I can add a modifier called Age, or Name but it can only be selected.

What I was looking for is I use this for students at my martial arts school to be able to pay their fees online.  I would like to require that they enter the name of the student when they pay the tuition for the month, instead of me trying to figure out who paid for what student.  if they forget to fill out the note to seller.

Would be double great to be able to use it for tournament registration where I can set X fields to have data entered into and all of them be required.

Thank you though,

Wesley

Message 7 of 19
Square

@ogexam - That makes more sense! Thanks for the follow up. I'll be sure to pass along your suggestion. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 8 of 19

Yes please!  This is very very important.  Need to be able to require name!

Message 9 of 19

Yes, this would be very beneficial to us at well.  We do cat and dog adoptions and it is hard to tell which payment goes to which pet when reconciling statements.   A required note field would be the best solution.

Message 10 of 19
Square

Howdy @kwaters. Thanks for sharing the use-case - it totally makes sense. I'll pass along your interest in this feature. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 11 of 19

I would like to register my support for this feature. Whenever one of my employees enters a Custom Amount in my register, I want to force them to enter a Note (with training on our end that this section is explain why you entered a custom amount) before they can accept payment.

Message 12 of 19
Square Community Moderator

@MattBrew Thanks for adding your interest!

I'll be sure to pass along  your feedback to our Product Team. 

Hopefully we can get something implemented that works for everyone in the near future. 

Keep an eye out for updates going forward 

Message 13 of 19

Any way we can help the team along?

Can this be programmed using the interface to create our own apps?  I can see if I can code it up... I would just need to figure out the API and the langauge used. 

Message 14 of 19
Alumni

Hey there @ogexam

I'm not completely aware of what is or isn't possible with our existing developer tools  related to mandatory notes. You can definitely take a look at the Square page on StackOverflow to connect with other developers working with Square API. 

(I'll also make sure to flag this request for our Product Team). 

Message 15 of 19

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Is there a way to have customers provide additional text information when ordering online." The author has been notified via email.

Our products include text information which needs to be provided by the person ordering.  I can not figure out a way which allows the customer to provide that information as they select the product.   Relying on the "optional" "Add additional note to merchant" at checkout will be only marginally effective at best.  I will end up spending countless hours chasing down customers to get the needed information.  Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Message 16 of 19
Alumni

Hey @Boonies - Unfortunately, there isn't a way to require the note field to be completed before moving to the next stage of the transaction. Do you mind sharing more information on how this feature would be help your business so that we can share your feedback with the Point of Sale team?

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 17 of 19
Beta Member

I would find it extremely helpful if one could require a note in the notes field for a particular item. For instance, when someone cannot find an item and enters it as an open item, I want them to be prompted to enter some info on what that item is before they can move on. 

thank you!

Message 18 of 19
Square Community Moderator

Hey! Thanks for reaching out! This is currently a feature request. I've merged your thread to an existing one so we can keep all of the requests in one place. Thank you!

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 19 of 19