x

Is there a way to text a customer that their order is ready for pick up?

We expanded our small business (food trailer) this year which included using the square register with kitchen tickets. Since our business, at this moment, is strictly set up for events (fairs, festivals, etc.) I was thinking it would be neat to take the order and give the customer a number but instead of them waiting (unless they want to), text them a notice their food is ready to pick up. That way they won't have to keep checking back, they can enjoy their selves where they are at. Is that something I can do with square or is there another app that works with square?

Thanks!

Donna

Message 1 of 97
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

We introduced this feature back in June, but this thread didn't receive an update!

When customers using Curbside Pickup arrive at your location, they can alert you of their arrival via text. You will see an arrival alert in your Square Point of Sale - with identifying information - so you are able to deliver food to your customers at the curb. 

To enable the text message notification feature, navigate to Settings > Pickup & Delivery from your Square Online Overview page, and set up each location individually. Click the Set up button to start, then below Enable Pickup, you’ll see a toggle you can turn ON that allows your customers to send you a text message notification.

If you haven't already toggled this on, head here to learn more about how it works! 🎉

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 12 of 97
96 REPLIES 96
Beta Member

I have a solution that integrates with Square - https://notifycustomers.net/squareup/ . Let me know if you have any questions.

Message 22 of 97

I have spent 3 weeks trying to figure out whether or not I need a new POS system, or a separate system, or if Square could do what I wanted it to, and go figure?  Finally some helpful information.  Square has yet to respond to my requests for information after multiple attempts.  Their lack of customer service is frustrating but the system is so easy to use and the idea of transferring $4k worth of gift cards to a new system sounds like enough of a nightmare.

Message 23 of 97

Seconding this request! It's super annoying to have people wait in line to order, and then to basically have to be out on the patio shouting their name when stuff is ready and they have wandered off or are not paying attention. It's also super annoying to have to teach my staff to use yet another system to send an auto-generated text message, which frankly, they just plain forget to do because they are busy. Please add an order ready notification to the POS! please please please

Message 24 of 97

Quite confused here, I want to send a message to my customers when a food order is ready. This seems to be referring to the customer messaging me when they arrive. Am I missing something? Do I auto generate a text to customer this way as well?

Message 25 of 97

There is not a way within Square to send order ready texts for all order types, which is in part why we developed grubuzzer for our food truck. We also needed order management at the pickup window.

Message 26 of 97
Beta Member

I have a solution that's now available on the marketplace - https://squareup.com/us/en/app-marketplace/app/notify-customers

Message 27 of 97
Beta Member

This feature is a must. We need to offer the same experience to our guests when they order online *and* when they order in store takeout. Order is ready, confirm on our end, customer gets text, heads to the pickup area.

Message 28 of 97
Alumni

Hey @BigBuns - thanks for adding context behind why you need this feature. I'll mark another tally on the back-end for tracking! 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 29 of 97

I’m not sure why this is so difficult. I should be able to easily mark orders complete from the transaction history

Message 30 of 97

Greetings!  I'm a little confused about how text messaging works in Square. Is it possible to simply text a contact like "Hey your bike is ready to pickup.",  I don't see any option to text in the customer profile/contact information.

I understand that within appointments I can automate confirmations and such.  I'm asking about general communications. Invoicing, receipts and general notes.

Jim

Message 31 of 97
Alumni

Hey @LowellBicycle - Unfortunately, text messages to customers outside of the Appointments reminders and receipts isn't an available feature at this time. However, I've merged your post with this thread that is tracking feedback for it. We'll make sure to update here as we hear of them.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 32 of 97

We need this feature too! Would love to be able to go to the ticket number and have a simple button that says, your order is ready for pick up! This needs to be added!

Message 33 of 97

Any update on sending txt msgs to customers? With the rise of food trucks and food halls having this text msg system would make square a complete system for mobile business's. 

Message 34 of 97
Beta Member

Any news on this feature. I am looking to add a "order from your seat feature" to my taproom for peak hours and would love to be able to integrate a tex message feature so customers aren't having to comb through their emails to know when their order is ready.
Message 35 of 97
Admin

I don't have an update currently @humblemonk. In the meantime you could take a look at other companies who provide this feature, like @tablesready who posted in this thread.

We'll update this post if Square as soon as we have any news to share! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 36 of 97
Beta Member

I'm good thank you. Not really looking to get ANOTHER subscription service for my business

Message 37 of 97
Admin

👍 I hear you! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 38 of 97

What (TF) is the point of Fresh KDS if it won't automatically text a customer when you tap the order off the kitchen display?  

Message 39 of 97
Admin

@C0rdwood The Square integration with Fresh KDS enables to you use a tablet in your kitchen to display orders - instead of (or with) order ticket printers. I agree it would be really useful if it also sent a message to customers when they're order is ready! For now you'd need to use a separate system to page/notify customers directly. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 40 of 97

Yes I was looking at Tables Ready-- BUT they want $70 a month for a simple texting app.   This does not really need a whole separate piece of software --- and another screen you need to open to send the requests.    

Please make this simple change.   All you are doing is sending a SMS to the customer's phone -- pretty simple stuff.   And really in demand with all restaurants going to pickup with Cov-19.

Message 41 of 97
Beta Member

I've built an app that will do this and it's $.05/text. Usage paid at the end of the month. https://notifycustomers.net 

Message 42 of 97