x

Looking for a better solution to selling items by weight.

Using the suggested workaround for selling items by weight is garbage.  Staff messes it up, receipts look awful and our reports are hard to decifer.  Square needs to address this as soon as possible.  Join me on Twitter @fixsquarepos to jconvince them to fix this.  Square - please add a decimal!

Message 1 of 24
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Support for scales is here! We've just rolled out the the ability to link a bluetooth scale to iOS devices to sell items by weight with Square

To learn about the scale that is curently supported and how to get set up check out this thread: Square now supports scales! 🎉

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 24 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Yes, SQUARE peeps, I need decimal points, too! Fractions, decimals, etc. this would be so helpful!

Message 2 of 24

Wow!!!  This is a huge problem for me.  I understand the workaround ... weighing the item and calculating the price separately, then entering the price as a variable price.  Unfortunately, in the sales report, I will not know how many pounds of an item I sold each month without doing a bunch more calculations.  Especially since my price per pound is different whether I'm selling to a retail customer or a wholesale customer.  Seems like the ability to enter a decimal point is basic arithmetic.  Has any progress been made in this area?

Message 3 of 24

I just tried the workaround of entering price by 1/100 of pound, then entering 1025 pounds instead of 10.25 pounds for the item sold.  Does not work!  For example assume a price per pound of $2.50.  The price per 1/100 pound is .025.  The way the decimals work in Square, I can enter either 0.02 or 0.03.  It is not possible to enter 0.025.

Message 4 of 24
Square

@farmstand - I don't have any updates to share at this point, but as you can see, this is definitely a popular feature request. I'll be sure to pass along your feedback! Thanks for taking the time to share. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 5 of 24

Could it really be that hard to add a decimal point to the price variation? If we could make an ounce cost $0.815 and have the register round down than the problem would be solved. Im no master code writer but this one doesnt seem that difficult.

Message 6 of 24
Super Seller

You are not the only farm on here looking at a POS system.  And for the volume we are doing any a "work around" for something so simple defies the reason to switch to a POS system.  My current cash register works better than this.

Message 7 of 24

@MichiganFarmsta We're always looking to improve Square. We will pass this feedback along to product team regarding the scale integration.

Is there anything else you would like to see added to the system? We're always looking for new ideas! 😀

Message 8 of 24
Super Seller

A couple of features I would like to see integrated into a POS.

1)  I would like to see a scale integrated into Square POS.  Something like this. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjq_L3LaGWA

2) A preordering system for our bakery.  So a customer could order an item (such as a pie) for pickup at a later date and time.  A way to order with or without payment.  Then pickup a couple days later and the cashier could pull up the order and know the status of payment and mark it as picked up.  

3) A simple way to offer tiered pricing, so a cashier can just enter the amount purchases and the price could be automatically calculated.

For example a donut cost $1, a half dozen is $5.70 ($.95), one dozen $10.80 ($.90). It would be nice if a cashier could just put 9 donuts and the price automatically calculated to $.95 each.

Message 9 of 24

We need the scanner to be able to read a barcode that has item and price and automatically enter the (weight based) price in the variable price field automatically. Much too slow to scan the item and then have to manually enter the price.

Message 10 of 24

Yes yes! We're a cheese shop and have a printing scale which I can program with a price per pound for each item we sell. It spits out a label with the item, weight, unit price, and total price for that piece (and a UPC type code). I would like to be able to take that label and use the Square scanner to scan the code on the printed label and have the item, weight, unit price, and total price come up instead of hand-entering. Otherwise, if this is not an option, then I'll be looking at other POS systems instead.

Message 11 of 24
Square

Do the labels print the same UPC for each item, @sweetfreedom? If so, you can save the UPC to variably priced items in the Point of Sale app. That will allow you to scan and add the item to each sale, and but you would still have to enter the price for the item - decimal based items or direct integrations to a scale are still not available.

Hope that helps clarify, let us know if you have any other questions.

Message 12 of 24

We still need barcode scanning that works with price embedded barcodes. (first half of barcode is item and second half is price). We are still using a cash register and another card processor. We would use square if we could scan our deli-scale printed barcodes that include price. Thanks.

Message 13 of 24

We are also needing to have the ability to input fractions. We sell fabric by the yard. Many customers purchase a half yard or 3/4 of a yard increments. It would be much simpler if we could input .5 or other fractions to handle this instead of fighting with a workaround. 

Message 14 of 24

Square needs to address this as soon as possible.  Join me on Twitter @fixsquarepos to join in the conversation.  Square - please add a decimal!

Message 15 of 24

Including a decimal point has been a popular request for many years and it is time that Square addresses the problem.  Join me on Twitter @fixsquarepos to convince them to sovle this.  Square - please add a decimal!

Message 16 of 24
Alumni

Hi @JasonSmith, I hear you and I know how painful it is that we don't currently offer the decimal point.

I know the workaround offered in the "Selling by Weight" thread may not work for everyone, and that it's important for your reports and receipts to be clear.

I've escalated your request internally, and when I have more information that I can share, I'll post here so that you're one of the first to get an update. Thank you for your patience - we're making sure your voice is heard on this issue!

Message 17 of 24

I truly hope it is being escalated. We have well over 700 items and each item must have 7 prices plus a variable price point to cover the different possibilities. It steals a ton of our time to get each item input just right, and even the way we have it set up isn't clean on the receipt. We charge the whole number separate from a fraction/decimal. It is just disappointing. 

Message 18 of 24

Another +1 here. Most of what we sell is by weight. We are new customers and our enthusiasm came to a screaching hault when we discovered this lacking feature, and it's such a fundamental feature at that! We don't need scale integration, but the complete lack of a decimal in the QTY is a deal breaker for us.

We love the ease of use and price point of Square, but we're also actively entertaining a competitor because they have such a core concept, the decimal point.

Seeing this as an outstanding issue for so many years does not instill much confidence in your attention to your userbase.

Is there an update on this issue? Is this coming in 2018? I don't want to hear it's on someone's list, unless it's the list of things that will be done in 2018?  If not, we're probably going to your competitor.

Message 19 of 24
Admin

Thanks for joining the Community @b2berry! I wish I had better news for you but I'm afraid I don't have a timeline on when this feature will be available. As you can see it's a very popular feature request so we will absolutely announce any updates! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 20 of 24

I am a programmer interested in coding such a feature. Can i help your software team in any way? This feature is of utmost importance for most of my future POS Square clients

Message 21 of 24