x
JasonSmith

Looking for a better solution to selling items by weight.

Using the suggested workaround for selling items by weight is garbage.  Staff messes it up, receipts look awful and our reports are hard to decifer.  Square needs to address this as soon as possible.  Join me on Twitter @fixsquarepos to jconvince them to fix this.  Square - please add a decimal!

Message 1 of 24
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Admin

Re: Looking for a better solution to selling items by weight.

Best Answer

Support for scales is here! We've just rolled out the the ability to link a bluetooth scale to iOS devices to sell items by weight with Square

To learn about the scale that is curently supported and how to get set up check out this thread: Square now supports scales! 🎉

Message 24 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Kpay Alumni

Hi @JasonSmith, I hear you and I know how painful it is that we don't currently offer the decimal point.

I know the workaround offered in the "Selling by Weight" thread may not work for everyone, and that it's important for your reports and receipts to be clear.

I've escalated your request internally, and when I have more information that I can share, I'll post here so that you're one of the first to get an update. Thank you for your patience - we're making sure your voice is heard on this issue!

Message 2 of 24
QH

I truly hope it is being escalated. We have well over 700 items and each item must have 7 prices plus a variable price point to cover the different possibilities. It steals a ton of our time to get each item input just right, and even the way we have it set up isn't clean on the receipt. We charge the whole number separate from a fraction/decimal. It is just disappointing. 

Message 3 of 24
JasonSmith

Square needs to address this as soon as possible.  Join me on Twitter @fixsquarepos to join in the conversation.  Square - please add a decimal!

Message 4 of 24
Quiltyfeelings

Yes, SQUARE peeps, I need decimal points, too! Fractions, decimals, etc. this would be so helpful!

Message 5 of 24
farmstand

Wow!!!  This is a huge problem for me.  I understand the workaround ... weighing the item and calculating the price separately, then entering the price as a variable price.  Unfortunately, in the sales report, I will not know how many pounds of an item I sold each month without doing a bunch more calculations.  Especially since my price per pound is different whether I'm selling to a retail customer or a wholesale customer.  Seems like the ability to enter a decimal point is basic arithmetic.  Has any progress been made in this area?

Message 6 of 24
farmstand

I just tried the workaround of entering price by 1/100 of pound, then entering 1025 pounds instead of 10.25 pounds for the item sold.  Does not work!  For example assume a price per pound of $2.50.  The price per 1/100 pound is .025.  The way the decimals work in Square, I can enter either 0.02 or 0.03.  It is not possible to enter 0.025.

Message 7 of 24
Sean Square

@farmstand - I don't have any updates to share at this point, but as you can see, this is definitely a popular feature request. I'll be sure to pass along your feedback! Thanks for taking the time to share. 

Message 8 of 24
ryan1

Could it really be that hard to add a decimal point to the price variation? If we could make an ounce cost $0.815 and have the register round down than the problem would be solved. Im no master code writer but this one doesnt seem that difficult.

Message 9 of 24
MichiganFarmsta

You are not the only farm on here looking at a POS system.  And for the volume we are doing any a "work around" for something so simple defies the reason to switch to a POS system.  My current cash register works better than this.

Message 10 of 24