x

Is it possible to set up recurring / subscription / membership payments through my Square website?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: With Square E-commerce for nonprofits, can you set up a page with recurring donations?

With Square E-commerce for nonprofits, can you set up a page with recurring donations?

Message 1 of 239
3 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: With Square E-commerce for nonprofits, can you set up a page with recurring donations?

We introduced the ability to offer a recurring donation option last summer 

I can give you a quick rundown here - let's go! 

You'll start by heading to your Square Dashboard > Online Checkout

Click the Create checkout link in the top right-hand corner:

Select Accept a donation from the options in the pop-up:

On the next page, you'll want to give your donation item a name, and possibly a description.
Most importantly, be sure to click Advanced settings to toggle ON the Accept recurring donations setting.

This is also where you can select the frequency of the recurring donation and set a donation goal (optional).

At the bottom of this window, you can also add custom fields!

Be sure to hit Create link - now you've got your checkout link! If you want to customize the text shown on your button, locate your created checkout link from the Checkout Link page, and click it. Next, select Customize:

If you want to add this button to your website, copy the Website button code and head over to your website editor and insert it wherever you want customers to see your donation button 

Here's an example of my checkout link offering recurring donations:

If any questions come up as you create your checkout link, feel free to let us know here so we can dig with you, @RogerS!

Verified Answer

Re: Does Square offer subscriptions for online store purchases?

Hey there  @Gabberdunes -

At this time, the only way to do this is by creating a Recurring Invoice Series. However, customers wont be able to opt in when placing online orders since online won't recognize them as an invoices.

I'll pass tag your idea as a feature request so the Product Team gets word of what you're looking for. Keep an eye out for updates! 

Verified Answer

Re: Membership Management

The answer is YES

If I set up the Club Membership as an item, will it be able to get a report of the item sold together with the name of customers who bought it?  Yes, you can assign a customer to any sale.  If you are selling a recurring membership you can do this through recurring invoices.  If the customer saves there payment information then it will auto charge the account each month.

Can I get a report of all payments going through the linked bank account for reconciliation purposes? There are many reports you can use to show payment and daily deposits.

Also, can multiple users share access to the software? Yes, You can use employee management to give controlled access to the app.

2 Best Answers
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @TABMin🌟

Just wanted to update this thread with our most current options.

As @RHatch said, you can create a recurring invoice to function as a subscription. This will autocharge your customer on a schedule of your choosing.

OR 

We also have subscription payments with Square Checkout links. With Square Online Checkout you can set up one checkout link with the subscription feature enabled. Instead of using Square Invoices for recurring payments, the subscription checkout link can be used to accept weekly, monthly, quarterly, or annual payments from multiple customers with a single checkout link. You can also self-select which specific checkout links your customers will be able to pay through. For example, use donation links for accepting monthly payments from donors/supporters.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 203 of 239
Alumni

Best Answer

We introduced the ability to offer a recurring donation option last summer 

I can give you a quick rundown here - let's go! 

You'll start by heading to your Square Dashboard > Online Checkout

Click the Create checkout link in the top right-hand corner:

Select Accept a donation from the options in the pop-up:

On the next page, you'll want to give your donation item a name, and possibly a description.
Most importantly, be sure to click Advanced settings to toggle ON the Accept recurring donations setting.

This is also where you can select the frequency of the recurring donation and set a donation goal (optional).

At the bottom of this window, you can also add custom fields!

Be sure to hit Create link - now you've got your checkout link! If you want to customize the text shown on your button, locate your created checkout link from the Checkout Link page, and click it. Next, select Customize:

If you want to add this button to your website, copy the Website button code and head over to your website editor and insert it wherever you want customers to see your donation button 

Here's an example of my checkout link offering recurring donations:

If any questions come up as you create your checkout link, feel free to let us know here so we can dig with you, @RogerS!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 229 of 239
238 REPLIES 238

I completely agree. This has to be a priority for Square and an integration with Weebly. During these times if we can't easily get our products to our customers with ease, they will go elsewhere, just simply because it's easier. 

Square! Please create a proper subscription/ recurring payment option for your loyal users! 

Message 106 of 239

I completely agree! Especially now, we need to have an option for recurring subscription payments! Please consider implementing this... and asap!

Message 107 of 239

this doesn't seem to solve the problem of wanting to sell subscriptions and charge the customer monthly. We would like to sell coffee subscriptions without using square invoicing. Shopify has this feature, please please create it.

Message 108 of 239
Beta Member

This feature shouldnt have been released as it does the bare minimum of what is required for a true subscription feature. If your subscription is for a physical item being sent it doesn't work as it doesn't allow you to capture the Billing & Shipping address of the sender and receiver or produce a shipping label. Something that is def needed for physical items to be shipped properly. 

Also it should be built out with the feature on the backend for the store owner to include exactly what is being shipped in the subscription so inventory can be tracked properly and so we can have the capability to know what was sent to the customer each month. 

Lastly from the customers point of view this feature should allow the customer to login to their account and modify and or upgrade their account should their address change or if they no longer wish to receive their subscription. 

Message 109 of 239

I want to add an option for people to login/signup for an online course and give deals on events. I am not seeing an option to create a member section am I looking over it or can I add embedded code to make this instead of using a different platform for that section?

Tags (1)
Message 110 of 239
Alumni

@DakotaJPayne if you're looking to offer subscription based services, you can set up a Recurring Invoice Series with a customer's card on file or set up a Checkout Link. More at the top of this thread I moved you to. 

Justin
Message 111 of 239
Beta Member

The online checkout and invoice with recurring payment is a choppy experience for my customers. I am trying to do a cigar subscription but with online checkout new customers can not enter shipping info. I have to sell the product and then send an invoice. This is not a seamless experience 

Message 112 of 239
Beta Member

I'm having the same problem. When it comes to using the online checkout for subscriptions, my customers can select the "one time payment" option; the subscription orders don't show up with the regular orders so I have to manage them elsewhere and they don't show up in the app. As my subscriptions increase, it's going to become cumbersome to manage and I think it leaves a lot of room for order processing errors (especially with the major holiday shopping about to start). I hope they can add subscriptions, customer accounts, etc. within online store at some point soon.

Message 113 of 239

Yes, i dont understand what the point of setting up a subscription is and then having a one time payment available, unless im missing something this square feature is kinda useless. Anyone know how it works?

Message 114 of 239

The backend extra work for me to use recurring invoices to manage 30 customers is terrible.  Considering our goal is 100+ for our farm there needs to be a better solution.

Message 115 of 239
Beta Member

We don't want to manage recurring invoices. We are asking for a Subscription that people can manage on their own. Sign up, make a payment, have a card on file, edit billing info, edit delivery info, pause or renew. 

We are all living in a delivery world and simply cannot manage individual recurring invoices for all our clients. 

farmersash
Message 116 of 239

I want to set up subscription boxes for candles. How can I add this option to my website?

Message 117 of 239
Alumni

The best way to offer subscriptions for your candles is by generating a checkout links and posting it to your website. 

@Adorn4u

Justin
Message 118 of 239

How do I post the Checkout link to my website? I've seen the option to copy, but where do I paste it to my website?

Message 119 of 239

Justin, creating 8 variations of checkout links to post to my Weebly website is ludicrous.  We (square marketplace businesses) know that there are better solutions out there through other ecommerce solutions and it seems like Square should also get on the same page for its loyal customers.

Message 120 of 239
Beta Member

Hi @BrightBoxFarms

Pintuna is a Square partner. Our Membership App is fully integrated with Square and should be able to handle your membership program needs. If you are still looking just drop us a note at sales@pintuna.com and we can setup a demo.

Message 121 of 239
Beta Member

TRYING TO SETUP A WINE OF THE MONTH CLUB WHERE CUSTOMERS CAN CHOOSE FROM 3 SEPARATE PLANS I.E. 3 BOTTLE 6BOTTLE OR 12 BOTTLE. CUSTOMER WILL GET BOTTLES SHIPPED TO THEM EVERY MONTH WHEN THEY PURCHASE SUBSCRIPTION BUT THERE IS NO REAL WAY TO DO THIS. RECURRING INVOICES ARE NOT POSSIBLE AS THEY DON'T REQUIRE A SHIPPING ADDRESS. THE SUBSCRIPTION FEATURE WAS SETUP ONLY TO FACILITATE DIGITAL ASSETS OR SERVICES BUT NOT PHYSICAL PRODUCTS. 

ALSO THERE IS NO WAY TO KEEP TRACK OF MARGINS OR INVENTORY WHEN AN ITEM IS SOLD TO THE MEMBERSHIP HOLDER. 

IT WAS NOT DEVELOPED ENOUGH TO SUPPORT TRUE SUBSCRIPTIONS....A SAD REALIZATION AS ALMOST EVERYONE OFFERS THIS 

Message 122 of 239
Alumni

I've moved your post over to this thread where others have expressed interest in subscriptions and memberships.

While we support some functionalities of this type of payment processing, there are limitations to what is accomplishable. We will be sure to pop back to this thread if we introduce new functionalities and capabilities to the current subscription options - recurring payments via invoices, and subscriptions via Square Online Checkout links. It sounds like you may not have had a chance to look into Square Online Checkout links as an option for the Wine of the Month club you'd like to offer, so I recommend taking a peek if you haven't already.

Stay subscribed to receive a notification when we have news to share here, @479WINE🍷

Valentina
Message 123 of 239
Beta Member

No it doesn't function properly because its only setup for items that dont need shipping. 

Message 124 of 239
Beta Member

It would be amazing to have a fully set up customized membership program that we set customers up with and monitor it through our dashboard. 

With memberships I would love features such as: 

*Through dashboard we would have a section to see who currently has a membership and the status of their membership as well as keeping track of what services/perks have been used up for each customer that month (We can go to their profile and see what services/perks they have used/haven't used for the month)

*Picking from multiple membership levels/options

* The ability to attach services & discounts to a membership 

*Auto-bill system (Subscription based) 

*Memberships can be PAUSED or canceled at anytime

* Can purchase in online store or at physical store 

*Attached to customers profile (By pulling up someones profile we can see what membership they have, when it renews, and what perks/services they have remaining/used quickly) 

also the option to add something like 10 of the same service. example 10 blow-drys (and be able to just put the number beside how many it includes or if its an unlimited service) 

Message 125 of 239
Square Community Moderator

Welcome back, @meggyj113

Thank you for reaching out with your feedback on a Membership Program. This is can be added as  Feature Request for our Product Team. 

I am moving your post to our Feature Request board. Keep an eye out for updates 👍

Kassi
Message 126 of 239