x

Multiple delivery fees for different delivery types

Multiple delivery fees for different delivery types

Hi,

We are a school uniform shop run by the P&C. 
We want to be able to set up different delivery methods, with different fees for each, and also different fields to capture the relevant data for those delivery methods.

1. Pick up from the Uniform Shop during opening times - $0

(We can't offer this at the moment, due to COVID restrictions, but next year we can)

2. Pick up from Front Office at an agreed/stipulated time - $5

(We can't offer this at the moment, due to COVID restrictions, but next year we can)

3. Delivery to your child's classroom - $5

- Field for Child's name

- Field for Class number and teacher's name

4. Delivery to your home (if within 5 kms of the school) - $10

- Address field 

I can't figure out how to set this up.

The work around I have done at the moment is to edit each item to do local delivery, then in the delivery address field they have to type the school address, 
and in the Apt/Floor/Suite field they have to type in the child's name and teacher's name and class. I have put those instructions in the description of every item, so that the instructions are right there in front of them on the same page, when they are being prompted to input it.

I'd prefer if there was a checkout screen where they could select the delivery method for the whole order, have the delivery fee listed, and have clear prompts of how/where to provide the additional information needed in order to deliver to that location, eg classroom, home address.

Is that possible to do now? If so, can you show me where/how to set it up?

Thanks, Olivia

0 Likes
2 Comments
Admin

Hey @HarrisonSchool,

Appreciate you taking the time to provide all this feedback!

It sounds like you've already explored most of the options at your disposal - as you've found, Square Online as a platform doesn't have specific features to cater for different pickup and delivery arrangements within different areas of a place, building or school. As an online store platform it's more focused on providing a typical online shopping experience where customers either elect to go to a store to pick something up, have it delivered to their homes, or have an item shipped to an address via post/courier.

For different pickup locations, you could try creating multiple locations - though then you'd also need to manage your inventory levels separately and by location, and also note that there's no way to add a fee for pickup. 

In terms of getting an online store solution that specifically caters to the different pickup and delivery scenarios you're looking to cover here, you'd likely need to hire a web developer to build a custom solution from scratch. The other alternative would be workarounds like utilising the notes section of the checkout to have your customers indicate where they would like orders - but this is subject to human error (eg customers not reading the instructions and leaving the right info in the notes section) and also won't cover different fees for delivery / pickup.

I wish I had some better news to share with you here, but as the platform stands at the moment, Square Online won't be able to meet the specific functionality you're looking for here. I will pass on your feedback to our eCommerce team though, for further consideration.

Thanks for your speedy response.

The work around I have done so far is...

- Deliveries to homes, $10. Enable 'Shipping' on that item, with a 5km radius. Charge $10 flat fee.
The customer inputs their home address in the checkout screen.

- Deliveries to classrooms, free. Enable 'Delivery' on that item, at no cost.
They input the school address in the address field, then use the Apt/Floor/Suite field to put child's name and teacher's name and class number.

- Pick up from Uniform Shop during opening hours. Enable pickup.
(I haven't set this up yet. Hoping it will be straight forward.)

- Pick up from Front Office at a specified time. Enable curbside pickup.?
(I haven't set this up yet. This is the one where they call you on a listed mobile # when they are at the curb/Front Office.)

Hoping this will work.

Thanks, Olivia