x

Navigation UI cues for nested categories

Beta Member

Navigation UI cues for nested categories

I'm currently using Categories in Square Online to group sets of sub-cateogries, eg:

Shop All

Shop Collections

|------Latest Release (sub-category)

|------Elements Collection

Shop By Type

|------ Artisan Soap

|------ Natural Soap

|------ Bath Bombs

Gift Card

This example uses 9 categories in total, with 5 sub-categories.

My feature request has a couple of parts to it, which are focussed on usability:

1.  When the categories are displayed in the left hand navigation menu, can some type of indicator be added to show the user that it's actually a menu item that can be expanded?

eg: The example above would look as follows when collapsed, where the '+' appears next to a parent category containing sub categories:

Shop All

+ Shop Collections

+ Shop By Type

Gift Card

Shop All

- Shop Collections

|------Latest Release

|------Elements Collection

- Shop By Type

|------ Artisan Soap

|------ Natural Soap

|------ Bath Bombs

Gift Card

2.  Related to the expanding/collapsing of the sidebar menu items when there are nested categories..    If a category is included in the header navigation menu, and it has sub-categories, can the sub-categories automatically be displayed as menu options?

Thanks!

0 Likes
5 Comments
Admin

Thanks for the feedback @Josie-DVH,

I agree that your suggestions here would make for a handy UI improvement!

I'll pass your suggestion on to our eCommerce team. While I can't give an ETA on if or when this navigation improvement mat be implemented, I'll update this thread if I hear of any changes.

Thanks for the taking the time to post this!

Hello !

Adding my voice on this topic for Nested Categories.

I made a Category "Burger" to place sub categories "Beef Burger", "Lamb Burger" etc.

Current situation is:

• the sub categories only appear if I also add items to the main category. To put it differently, a category with just subcategories will not appear.

• Second observation, they appear on computer, but not tablet or phone.

Computer version:

Computer versionComputer version

But phone/tablet version:

Phone versionPhone version

So nested categories should be better implemented with all sources (phone/tablet/computer) and allowing for categories that only have nested categories.

Thank you !

Alex.

Admin

Thanks for the feedback @Alx314,

In terms of how categories / sub categories work, as far as I know this is intended behaviour (ie your items will all need assigning to a main category regardless of if they're in a sub category or not). Are you looking for a way to use sub categories here independently of also assigning the item a main category? If you can explain more about why you wish to do this it'd give me more context to pass on to our product team!

For further help with why some of your items are not showing up on the mobile site though I'd definitely reach out to support, who will be able to take a better look into how things are currently set up, and troubleshoot based on this. Is this issue tied to the items not being in a main category, or is it happening regardless? You can call our support team on 1800 760 137. Lines are open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm Melbourne time.

Cheers!  

Hello Seamus,

Well I stand corrected. I tried to reproduce the structure I wanted and it went through correctly with zero item in a main category, only nested categories. Products assigned to subcategories. They also show up on phone.

Not sure how I got the issue in the first place, but you're right, the page shows nested categories so all good case closed! Thank you!

Back to Josie's topic of User Interface for nested categories.

Admin

Glad we could sort that one @Alx314 🙂