x

Remove Default Categories from Library

Remove Default Categories from Library

Having a set of default, unremovable categories that takes up more than 3/4 of the Library screen is untenable.  I'd wager the majority of Square users don't use Gift Cards or Rewards; a few probably use discounts and service charges.

We should have the ability to edit/remove/hide categories on the library screen.  As a Square user for both my personal business and as head (read: only) IT guy for a local nonprofit, being able to remove the useless-to-us categories would save me SO MUCH PAIN from volunteers getting "lost" because they hit the wrong category. 

(Yes, I created a for-dummies document that a lobotomized kindergartner could follow.  No, it didn't help.  Anyone who's worked with people will understand...there's always that one person who couldn't find their a** with both hands and a map, who throws up their hands, turns off their brain, and wails for help the second they get slightly confused.  Usually while you're elbow deep in something else, but their problem is the most important thing in the world!)

3 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Feature Request: Option to remove "Redeem Rewards" and/or "Gift Cards" from

I know they added more unwanted items on the main screen, but Square thinks by adding the one grid to our phone has helped. We are at farmers markets, craft shows and concessions where speed is key. We have our iPad set up grid style that helps. When I have a line and have to use my phone one grid are area doesn’t help. Make the option happen to turn off unnecessary items. We are a community asking of Square to please offer this as a way to speed up our transactions. For the love of pete sakes hear our words! We need a toggle to turn off those unwanted items! TOGGLE SWITCH TURN OFF ITEMS UNNEEDED!

Verified Answer

Re: Feature Request: Option to remove "Redeem Rewards" and/or "Gift Cards" from

Now the “new” home screen has 5 lines of unneeded space hogs instead of 2 lines of useless functions.  On my phone (which is the ONLY way I use square) I can only see two of my items, but I have two scroll up to see my menu.  I work farmers markets where transaction speed in incredibly important, every step slows down sales.  It is hard to fathom that SQUARE could make the issue worse than it was.  

EJ_
Verified Answer

Re: Remove Redeem Rewards from Item List

Hi there!

The Redeem Rewards selection cannot be removed completely, however using your "Items Grid" you can customize what appears as available to select. 

Head over to our Support Center to read more about the Items Grid.

176 Comments

I cannot agree more with everyone else on this *OLD* thread!  We pay square a healthy amount to use it's services, and we expect to be supported.  If it were a free service I would totally understand, but since it's not free we the customer should be allowed to customize the app to taylor our individual and specific needs.  THE REWARDS AND GIFT CARDS OPTIONS NEED TO BE MADE AS 'OPTIONAL'!!  You have many different companies using the app and not all of us will ever use these items. I've also made the request that the mobile phone app be customizable like the tablet app - product buttons would free up ALOT of real estate on my iPhone screen.  I don't want to see the price, I don't necessarily need to see the description, just a button would be nice.

It is not even just that the feature is frustrating or unused, it's that Square refuses to provide a reason as to WHY it is forced on us.

I am assuming that because they have never explained it, there is no good reason. Which begs the question: Why can't the Square engineers simply add an option to turn it off? If it is not tied to another critical piece of the software, then why is there by default? I know it costs extra to use, so it really seems like it's just a permanent advertisement lodged in the middle of the platform. I can't think of a better reason.

I just don't get it. Seems like an easy fix to me, and I will continue to think it is until Square justifies it.

The work around for me is to put all of my Items into a single category, then on the Checkout screen display just that Category from the Drop Down.  Its a workaround, but works for me, and gets rid of these two things from the top of the list.

In the Square Appointments App, the Checkout screen shows the items I have set up in my store. But my items are **preceded** by two lines that are titled "Redeem Rewards" and "Gift Cards". This is very annoying and intrusive when I am trying to record a sale through the App.

When will Square remove these from the POS screens, especially since the "Gift Card" feature is no longer even supported? Clearly this small software change would be easily accomplished - and clearly many want to be rid of the annoyance - so when should we expect to see some change?

Admin

Hi @SNJflyer. Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

The "Redeem Rewards" and "Gift Cards" options aren't able to be removed from the Item List screen at this time. The "Redeem Rewards" button is there for sellers who have a Loyalty Program set up or who have sent out coupons that can be applied to a transaction. But I can share this feedback on removing this button to our Product Team, because I can see how this is distracting for sellers who don't use Loyalty or coupons.

Can you explain more what you mean by the "Gift Card" feature not being supported? We do offer both eGift Cards and physical Gift Cards to be sold through the Appointments app.

Thanks!

This is disgraceful. So many request to REMOVE redeem rewards & gift cards and square refuse! We are the customers and the ones who make square what it is. I have only just started with square but will be seeking an alternative, one that listens to their customers!

I completely agree that there should be a show/hide functionality with the Redeem Rewards and Gift cards for this screen.  I know some of the members of our charity will struggle with this and it will cause problems, hopefully no legal ones....

Please allow the rest of us that don't use those functions to delete them.

NOTE: I didn't find answers when I searched initially, but this has apparently been requested several times over the past few years.

We are a non-profit and use Square for membership, program fees and donations only.  We will never use loyalty reward points or gift cards, so it's just unnecessary cruft taking up space at the top of the items list. 

I completely disabled the creation of gift cards and have never configured any loyalty features.  Both still show up in the item list, and I keep getting emails asking me to finish setting up gift cards I will never use.

Is it possible to remove/disable "Redeem Rewards" and "Gift Cards" on the item list?  If they can't be removed, maybe they can be moved to the bottom of the list?

Square Community Moderator

This post was moved to an existing thread: Feature Request: Remove Redeem Rewards from Item List

HI @cubs162 - thanks for taking the time to add context to why this would be useful. I moved your comments to an existing thread of sellers asking for this feature. There are quite a few posts with helpful workarounds while we bring this feature request to fruition. 

If you're using the Square Register or Square Stand, you can set up the Item Grid to only show your available items in lieu of Gift Card or Reward options.