x

Request for Risk Manager in Australia to prevent Fraud

Beta Member

Request for Risk Manager in Australia to prevent Fraud

Over the past few months fraud has increased, so much so that we have had to remove specific products from our online offering because they were too low margin to risk fraudulent sales.

On speaking to an agent at square they mentioned that Risk Manager is a feature to prevent fraudlent charges and is currently only available to the US.

I believe this feature is urgently needed in Australia for us to have faith in Square as an online payment processor. At the moment we live in fear that any order might lead to a charge back a month after it has already been dispatched.

4 Comments
Admin

Hey @Tannie,

Thanks for reaching out and very sorry to hear that you've had some issues with disputes and fraudulent charges.

Risk Manager will be launching in Australia - we're working on it at the moment! If you'd like to get updates on upcoming features and possibly help test them before they go to market please join our Beta Community for more info!

We also have a couple of resources on best practices and what to look out for to help prevent fraud-based disputes and chargebacks:

Keep in mind that any credit card payment made through any provider carries a risk of being a fraudulent transaction, and we do have seperate internal systems that operate to help detect and mitigate fraud outside of Risk Manager - though no system will ever be 100% accurate, we're always working on improving fraud detection measures.

Hi, 

Has there been any updates from square re Risk Management in Australia.

It's been 9 months since they said they were working on it.

We really need basic 3DS checks for online payments to feel confident to process transactions through our online site.

Beta Member

Agreed! 
@Seamus can we please have an update?
I have now had 6 instances of fraud from ONE person! I'm really lucky that I only do a few hundred orders a month, so I can remember names that stick out to me when picking and packing orders. 
But once we ramp up and get busier, no way will I be able to remember the names/addresses that I need to keep an eye out for - I really need some assistance with preventing fraudulent transactions against my business.

i have just had this happen to me, upon doing some more research the way square enable chargeback is in itself illegal, as a square user you cannot see the customers details , the transaction is done by square so as a seller you are unable to protect yourself at all . i have spoken to my lawyer and square is liable for card fraud not the seller. For anyone reading this try STRIPE as you can actually see the details of credit card transactions , customers full name adress of credit card etc . DO NOT USE SQUARE as you are leaving yourselves open for chargebacks that you cannot defend yourself against