x

Retail App: Serial Number

Retail App: Serial Number

This seems so very basic, but it's missing from Square Retail and something that is needed for our business. Currently, there is a notes field for individual products, but you cannot scan serial numbers to populate that field. 

Suggested Solution: Impliment a dedicated serial number field that can be populated using a scanner. It would be nice to set individual items to require a serial number, with a prompt telling us to enter it during a transaction.

Other than that, our Square experience has been great!

30 Comments

How can I ADD A NEW ITEM, which is for example cell phones with different serial numbers? So I can enter the serial number in sales & sell THAT specific cell phone, with THAT specific serial number. Also I wish to see THAT serial number of the cell phone, that has been sold, in sales receipt.
I was thinking to do in SKU, but i only can register 1 (serial) number. Also the number in SKU doesn't show up in the sales receipt.

Thanks

Super Seller Alumni

Set up your item.  Phone X - $xx.xx with the UPC on the box if you want a SKU and if you use a scanner.  Then when you ring the sale select the item.  Once you have the item selected click on it.  This will open the item info box where you will see a Notes section.  Here you can enter the phones serial number.  This will print on the receipt, and when you pull a transaction.csv report you will see it in the notes column.  Let me know if you need more details.

Thank you so much for your response.

One of the problems is: the app can't find it back by searching for that serial # in the sales history. That's very important for warranty purposes.

Super Seller Alumni

You are correct the only way you can find it is to pull the report from the Dashboard.  However, if you tag the sale to a customer you will be able to find the transaction under the customer's history.  It will show the Serial number.  You just will not be able to search for it.

I don't know if this will help but you can also  Go To Customer / Settings in the dashboard.  Add a Field Called Serial Number.  Then edit the customer and add the current Serial Number under their name too.  I would do both.

Beta Member

This would be a great feature! We sell a lot of electronics that have serial numbers. We need to track these numbers when we receive product and sell it. 

Serial number tracking should be a standard feautre for Retail POS app.

I would like to be able to:

1. Add a serial number to incoming purchase orders when we receive them.

2. Scan the serial number barcode when we receive and sell the product.

3. Have the serial number show up on the customer's receipt and our inventory receiving history.

4. Be able to search for this serial number in any of the transactions that contained it.

5. Run an inventory check with each serial number being listed that is in stock.

In Quickbooks POS there is an option to track an item with a serial number. It's an option that can be turned on or off for each indiviadual procuct. Would be nice to have that here too.

Thanks!

Admin

Hey @swimfun and @blacklabimaging, thank you for taking the time to share your business needs relating to serial number numbers. I went to check for additional information on these requests, but I don't have anything on hand at this time.

I'll be surfacing your post with our Retail Team and we'll circle back with any insight or other developments that may be helpful. Appreciate your patience as we're constantly working to implement improvements based on seller feedback.

We have a lot of serialized inventory and it would be helpful to have a "Serial Number" field added to the item page so we can input that information when we receive the inventory. Very useful when we do a physical inventory count. If this isn't planned for a future update, unfortunately, we will outgrow this software and system very soon.

Hello @AlvasMusic

Currently this isn't on our roadmap, but I'll make sure to share the suggestion with our Item and Inventory Team! 😀

Beta Member

Tom

Any word on this?

THANKS

Admin

Thanks for checking in here, @griggsvacuums. We don't have an update to share, I'm afraid. Can you let us know how this would help your business and how you're currently using serial numbers?