x

Selling by weight: How can I use a scale with Square Point of Sale?

I already know and understand you cannot link a scale to charge by weight with square. However I wonder if I can set up a key for pounds and if a customer's items weigh less than 1 pound, will I be able to enter a fraction of a pound at that same cost button? For instance, if I normally charge $12/lb and the weight on my scale is 0.39 will I be able to enter 0.39 to calculate the total cost to the customer (less than $12 in this case) automatically? Or am I required to enter whole numbers only? 

Message 1 of 35
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hello again! I want to let everyone in this thread know that you now have several options when using scales with Square:

Already own a scale? Shop the required USB cable and scale adapter to connect to your device.  

Not sure which iPad model you have? Identify your iPad here.

Visit our Support Center to learn more about hardware compatibility.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 35 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

It's baffling to me that there are so many people that need to beable to sell by weight and it's been years since Square has known about this need, and it's still not met. Bummer. I've been using square for almost a year and I love it, OTHER than this. I have to "finagle" the price in my list. I can't sync with my online store due to needing to "finagle" (1/10 of price) I need to track how much weight I sell so I can't just punch the price in... Really should be a square priority to see this fixed. 

Message 22 of 35

Hello @KatJones, this is a popular feature request we've been tracking for awhile.

Selling by weight goes hand in hand with implementing decimals into the Point of Sale System. If you're selling by weight in a store front you might be interested in LocavoreStore's answer on the thread How are others that price by a decimal quantities working their charges?

That thread also has a comment from one our of product managers for Inventory Management, since this would require an update on the backend to track how much of an item your selling. A lot of these things weave and intertwine together, which creates more work and makes the problem a little more complex. 

If you have any questions please let me know! 🙂

Message 23 of 35

I am wondering if the square is compatible with any types of scales.  I have a small meat market where I weigh my products and sell based on weight.  I have a scale, but am looking for a POS system to integrate.  Does anyone know the answer to this?

Message 24 of 35
Super Seller

Square does not currently support scales directly.  you would have to weigh it on your scale and then enter the price into Square for an item sale.

Message 25 of 35

We sell items that are measured such as hardwoods. Those measurements never come out to 5 or 9 exactly but rater 10.6 or 5.5 as examples. We just recieved our terminal today and are perplexed as to why there seems to be no setting to chare quantities that are not whole numbers.

I don't see a "." in the keypad to enter a "point" as in 3.5  It would seem that there should be a setting to use two decimals or something to achive this if there is no "." in the qty keypad.  

Message 26 of 35
Alumni

Do you have some thoughts about selling by weight? Our PM is looking for some feedback on this thread: https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/General-Discussion/Point-of-Sale-Using-a-scale-to-sell-items-by-w...

Thanks!

Message 27 of 35
Beta Member

Yes! I've been using square since 2013 with a different company and I've asked many times for a solution. A decimal with 2 places in the quantity field should solve the issue. We could then enter the weight (that comes preprinted on each package) and the exact price would be charged. That would be ssoooo awesome. 1) not losing money because I can't get the employees to remember they have to enter weight in "tenths of pounds". I would actually get $10 for a steak, instead of $1. and 2) I could also get paid for the exact weight instead of having to drop the second digit after the decimal in the weight, as I do now because of the tenths pounds thing. When can that be done?

Message 28 of 35

I do not understand how Square can take so long to implement such a simple feature. Developers can be done in 2 weeks!

Message 29 of 35
Beta Member

It really is mind boggling.  I am not a software developer, but I can't imagine this would be a compelte revamp of the app.  If nothing else, build another app that is specifically for retailers that sell by weight.  All the discussions about scale integreation are moot.  The whole fiasco could be fixed with the ability to enter fractional quantities.  

I have been using Square since 2012, but if this isn't fixed soon I'll have to look at other solutions.  

Message 30 of 35
Beta Member

I’ve been selling using Square since 2011 and I have asked for a solution over the years many times. PayPal has an option for weight that I’m looking into. If this takes a while I’ll switch to that. Rates are the same.

Message 31 of 35
Admin

Hey everyone @cabreramouzo @VTAMEATCO @TxFarm - Thanks for hanging in there with us on this one. 

I definitely encourage you to head over to our post on Decimal Quantities being live in Beta. Please comment on that thread if you're interested in being part of the Beta!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 32 of 35

Thanks @nika
Message 33 of 35
Admin

Hello! I wanted to let everyone in this thread know that you can now link a bluetooth scale to iOS devices to sell items by weight with Square!

For the details read this post: Square now supports scales🎉

December 3, 2019 Update: Square now supports scales on Android devices! Learn more Here: Square Point of Sale now supports Brecknell scales on Android devices.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 34 of 35
Admin

Best Answer

Hello again! I want to let everyone in this thread know that you now have several options when using scales with Square:

Already own a scale? Shop the required USB cable and scale adapter to connect to your device.  

Not sure which iPad model you have? Identify your iPad here.

Visit our Support Center to learn more about hardware compatibility.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 35 of 35