x

Selling by weight: How can I use a scale with Square Point of Sale?

I already know and understand you cannot link a scale to charge by weight with square. However I wonder if I can set up a key for pounds and if a customer's items weigh less than 1 pound, will I be able to enter a fraction of a pound at that same cost button? For instance, if I normally charge $12/lb and the weight on my scale is 0.39 will I be able to enter 0.39 to calculate the total cost to the customer (less than $12 in this case) automatically? Or am I required to enter whole numbers only? 

Message 1 of 35
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hello again! I want to let everyone in this thread know that you now have several options when using scales with Square:

Already own a scale? Shop the required USB cable and scale adapter to connect to your device.  

Not sure which iPad model you have? Identify your iPad here.

Visit our Support Center to learn more about hardware compatibility.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 35 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

+1

Hey @Popculture, have you had any luck with this?

I am having the same issue. I have not found a way to allow decimal quantities as yet. I also can't set a price small enough to work in grams (i.e .$005/g is the same as $5/g and can then be sold as 500 units but it rounds to $0.00). I have contacted support about this and am hoping to get some success as this is a critical part of our sales process.

Message 2 of 35
Square

Currently the work around for this is to create an price point for factions of a pound. For example, creating an price that is "One Tenth of Pound of item." As @Wilderlandtrust points out though, this becomes less practical the more granular you need to get.

Alternatively, you can also leave the item you're selling at a variable price, and after calculating the cost outside of the Register app, key in the appropriate amount when adding the item to the sale. 

It's definitely been a popular feature request, so hopefully we have a better solution in place in the future. As always, keep an eye out for updates!

Message 3 of 35

hi - in the support notes it says "Square Register does not integrate directly with third party scales at this time, but the CAS 2000 Jr. scale can be pre-programmed to record weight and price."

what does this mean?

thanks

Message 4 of 35

I have a BBQ place and we sell by the pound for take out.  From reading here it looks like I need to change the 'by the pound' SKUs to variable price (leave price blank in the set up).  I have a scale that you enter a price per pound and when the item is weighed the scale give the exact price for the weight.  You would then enter that dollar amount to the variable price in square.  Seems less than optimal but it will work until square figures it out.

Message 5 of 35

I found a good solution, as most digital scales can be preprogrammed to hold PLUs (Price Look Up).  Here's the scale we use:

http://www.cas-usa.com/cas-usa.com/media/S2000%20-%2060lb%20Owner's%20Manual.pdf

I can program my scale with 3 digit codes for the price of my items I sell by weight.  It's like going to the deli counter at the grocery store. When I punch in the code, my item price comes up.  I weigh the item, and the total cost comes up.  I can put that number into Register as a variable priced item.  

Hope this helps!

Message 6 of 35
Square

@Cafecielo - Thanks so much for sharing! 🙌

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 7 of 35

A simple decimal point in the NOTES AND QUANTITY, ie, where you edit the QUANTITY, will solve the problem. For example, a meat that is $6/Lb. If you buy 1/2 lb only you could edit the QUANTITY with the decimal point like .5 and it will edit the price of the meat to $3 and at the same time it will show on the receipt .5lb is the QUANTITY. 

Message 8 of 35

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Selling by Weight

The majority of my sales are loose products, sold by weight. I know there is no way, at the moment, to integrate scales with Square, but I'm trying to figure out a work around, so I will have accurate sales data for analysis.

If I can set prices for items to four decimal places (i.e. 0.0224) I can set a price per gram, which would work. Has anyone tried something similar and been able to set such a low price? Or if it's not currently possible, could anyone from Square reading investigate adding it?!

Message 9 of 35
Admin

Hello @TheTruckleTruck, Helen here from the Community team at Square!

As you''ve realized this is currently a feature request.😞 But I'm moving your post over to another thread where we are actively tracking this request and where Spenser shared a workaround

You might also like to contribute to this other thread where Saumaya, a Product Manager for Point of Sale, is looking for insights from businesses (like you) who need to use a scale! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 10 of 35
Beta Member

It is now June 2019, looks like this has been an active request for three years? Please let me know the updated status on this. I am starting a business and very tempted to try something that works from the start rather than having to double the work for each entry. I have a bulk products bath, body and home business that sells by the ounce. Thank you. 

Message 11 of 35
Square

Hey @allisonburgund - this feature is currently in Beta and you can enroll your account to start using it. See more details under https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/General-Discussion/Decimal-Quantities-Beta-is-live/td-p/119361

Message 12 of 35

So this thread was started 3 years ago, and in 3 years ago developers cant figure out to calculate a variable price where I would enter a weight of say 1.3 lbs and square would take that multiple it by the price to determine the price of the product?? I was hoping to switch to square in the next couple of months but this is a big deal breaker. Is there a way to enter 1.3 lbs into square and square calculate the cost?? I dont need scale integration, i just want to be able to enter 1.3 lbs and square calculate the price.

Thank you,

Don

Message 13 of 35

Is there a way to enter a partial item amount into a sale, say a fraction of a pound of something, if I am selling good by weight?

Message 14 of 35
Square

Check out Spenser's post above for information on accepting payment by weight.

Message 15 of 35

I was wondering if I could charged by weight , I sell meat at farmers market, so I need to charge by lb.
Is there any way to do that with Square Point of Sale???

Message 16 of 35
Alumni

Hey there @Vailmeat 👋 thanks for making your first post on the community. 

We don't currently have an integration for a scale that would enable you to sell goods by weight directly through the Point of Sale app. There is a way to manually price items by weight. Check out @Cafecielo's scale recommendation as well as the Best Answer, provided by @Spenser

Message 17 of 35
Beta Member

Just a couple of decimals in the quantity field would make it all work. Who do we need to request this from?

Message 18 of 35
Admin

Hey @TxFarm, welcome to the seller community and thanks for surfacing. Partial quantities (a.k.a. ability to add a decimal in the quantity field) is a feature that our Point of Sale team is looking into. I wish I was able to access and share more details for when It may become available in the app, though Spenser's suggestion is the best workaround at the moment.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 19 of 35

We sell bulk tea and coffee which we weigh and sell by the ounce or pound.  What is the best way to run this thru Square and manage inventory?

Message 20 of 35
Square Community Moderator

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: “Best way to run bulk tea and coffee which we weigh and sell by the ounce or pound thru Square”.

Hi @Flagship1

I've moved your post over to this existing thread, as this is one of our most popular feature requests that our Point of Sale team is looking into how to prioritize this for you all going forward. 

It's not available at the moment, but few really good workarounds suggested by other sellers might help you for the time being. 

Message 21 of 35