x
Super Seller

Timecards: Prevent early clock in and auto clock out

Hi All, 

I was looking at square employee management. I wanted to check if it offered features to prevent early employee clock in and auto clock out based on published schedules. 

I've seen other tools offer this features and they are configurable so that owners can setup windows as of how soon can an employee clock-in. For example, allow employees clock in 5 min before the scheduled time, and auto clock employee out 15 min after the shift is over. 

Are these features available?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi y'all! 

Doing a bit of clean-up here 🧹 

I noticed that this thread wasn't updated when we built this feature out.

In case anyone missed it, you have the ability to restrict your team members from clocking-in early for their shift or on days when they're not scheduled to work. 

1. Log into Timecards in your online Square Dashboard > Settings > Time enforcement.

2. Toggle on Block early and unscheduled clock-ins.

3. If applicable, enter a time under Allow within and toggle on Only this location or All locations.

4. Click Save.

Note: If you've enabled the settings to block ending breaks and clocking-in early, your team member(s) will see a notification in the Team app if they attempt to do so.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

This would be a nice feature, i'd like to know too.  I'm new to payroll and timecard, I have an employee that clocks in 15 minutes before her time.  Having this feature will eliminate reprimanding employees and will help lower payroll expense.

Message 2 of 8
Admin

@cupzcoffeeaz @Gam1 Thank you both for your posts! I'm afraid at this time there isn't a way to prevent an employee from signing in outside of their shift. I'll share this request to the Timecards team though, I absolutely see how it would be helpful.

In the meantime you can view when an employee has clocked in from the Timecards section of your online Square Dashboard, in real time. As soon as they clock in you'll see it populate on Dashboard (and you can make changes), You can also clock out on behalf of an employee from your Dashboard and set the specific time that they clocked out. 

If we have an updates on preventing early clock in and auto clock out features we'll update this thread to let you know! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 3 of 8

Hi Helen, 

I see that you responded back in August 2018. Do you and Square have an update on this? I know Square's competitors, such as Revel, have this technology, and being able to prevent early clock-in's before an employee's 30min break is up would save companies tons of money. Because, as you may know, if an employee fails to take a full 30min break (say, only 29minutes) then we are reuqired by law (CA) to pay them an extra hour of penalty pay. Instead, they should receive a notice on the screen that says: "You still have 2 minutes left in your break before you can clock back in."  Can Square please institute this? Thanks!

Message 4 of 8
Admin

Hi @CurryUpNow,

Welcome to the Seller Community! Thank you for taking the time to share why this feature is important for your business. I can see how building an in-app reminder or similar automation would take some pressure off of your management team and help prevent associated penalties.

We aren't able to access and share out a specific timeline for new features, but I'll make sure that our Employee Management Team sees your post. Please let us know if anything else comes up—we appreciate your patience as we iterate based on our sellers' experience.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 5 of 8

Can Square please add  feature to prevent early clock-in and clock-out, please? It's 2020, this issue has been requested for some time now. I'm considering another merchant service just so I can have more control with time cards and payroll options.

Message 6 of 8
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi y'all! 

Doing a bit of clean-up here 🧹 

I noticed that this thread wasn't updated when we built this feature out.

In case anyone missed it, you have the ability to restrict your team members from clocking-in early for their shift or on days when they're not scheduled to work. 

1. Log into Timecards in your online Square Dashboard > Settings > Time enforcement.

2. Toggle on Block early and unscheduled clock-ins.

3. If applicable, enter a time under Allow within and toggle on Only this location or All locations.

4. Click Save.

Note: If you've enabled the settings to block ending breaks and clocking-in early, your team member(s) will see a notification in the Team app if they attempt to do so.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 8

I found the option to not allow early clock in but is there an auto clock out? I ha e the worst time with my employees not clocking out. It looks like they get auto clocked out after 24 hours but it would be great if it were 10 minutes.

Message 8 of 8