x

Appointments Feature Request: Disable tipping on items - calculate tip based on cost of service(s)

Appointments Feature Request: Disable tipping on items - calculate tip based on cost of service(s)

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Tips should only be calculated on the service part of a sale, not retail

We are a service based business. We provide a service and our customers tip us on that service. But we also sell retail (skincare, lifestyle) items that customers should not tip on.

When our customer comes in for a 90min facial and during check out decides to buy some recommended products also their balance can jump form $130 to $280 very easily. So we now have a $280 balance with services and products, the customer swipes their card and the tip screen suggests a few % options..

Scenario 1, Wrong - 20% tip on total sale

$280 + 20% ($56) gratuity = $336

Scenario 2, Correct - 20% tip on Service only

$130 service + 20% ($26) service gratuity = $156 + $150 retail = $306

Unless we ring an extra transaction to separate retail from service sales, our customer gets ripped off. We make more money, Square makes more money but our customer got ripped off by $30 in Scenario 1.

The solution we previously offered to Square was to let items be "tip(able)" the same way items are currently "tax(able)"

Any thoughts from the Square team?

88 Comments

It has been over THREE YEARS since this particular thread (among several) was started, and Square is still disregarding the need for this function. I cannot express how frustrating it is to give a company business who completely ignores our needs as service providers and retailers.

I don't want to have to explain to every client I see in my business that the tip percentage is wrong and why, then have them awkwardly stand there while they try to calculate the actual service portion in their head for a custom amount. What results is that I'm either undertipped and losing money, or the client feels like they may be overtipping because there's no simple option and they're winging the math.

I've dealt with unhappy clients, loss of trust, refunds of excess tip amounts (which I have to eat the cost on) - and we still don't have an answer from Square. Every few months someone else posts here and a community mod replies with yet another canned reply about how it's not a feature they're working on and there's no updates.

We're not asking for a full fledged FEATURE to be implemented here, folks. We're asking for a simple toggle FUNCTION on our service items that will allow them to be excluded from a tip calculation. May I remind you that this exists in the Sales Tax on/off toggle function. So really Square, we're going to go into 2020 with this half baked system because you can't get your act together and would rather prioritize adding more PAID features (Marketing, Loyalty, Payroll etc) that boost your company's bottom line, while ignoring the needs for basic functionality in the Point of Sale system.

Curious. This was a about 18 months ago. Has anyone gotten back to you Tom? I love processing through/working with Square but this makes me want to leave. If something is added to the Square store as a product it should automatically be removed to the grand total when calculating the gratuity. It’s not that difficult if this day and age. 

It’s confusing for the customer to add a tip on their services when they are also purchasing products. I need a way that they can click a button to add a tip only on the service amount. Not the total amount that has products included. 

Admin

Hey @tranquilityskin. I've moved your post here so that we can keep track of sellers wanting this feature. That way if any developments are made, we can let you know here.

Hello,

I just added grooming services to my retail establishment and I was wondering if there was a way to enable tips only on certain services/items?

Thanks!

Alumni

@pupcakes

Unfortunately, there's not a way to do this. Tipping with Square is an all-or-nothing feature that cannot be restricted to certain items/services.

The best workaround I can think of is to create a 'tip' item and leave the price variable - that way when your customers want to leave a tip, you can enter the amount at checkout along with the service they want to purchase. 

For now, I'll send your suggestion to the Product Team for tracking. 

Beta Member

Many customers get upset when they use the tipping percentage option and it tips on the entire sale total, not just service items. It's okay for service providers but the customers can get upset when they see a $60 tip when they only had a $20 wax and bought a few hundred in retail products. 

We also don't like how tips calculate on the split payments either, something mentioned many times by other users.

any updates planned?

thanks!

Square Community Moderator

Hi @SpaB!

I'm moving your post to an existing feature request thread for this.

If there ever is an update- we'll be sure to update the thread!

I used to use an app, Ring It Up, that, as a company, was far less robust. This option was a basic part of the st-up. Especially now that you have the Services (items) separate from the Items. One can even convert Items into Services. Easy peasy... as you know. Seriously, I just want to know why not?

Beta Member

Is there a way to only have the tip percent figured off of just services and not sales of product? Without it,  I'm having to figure out percentages myself and its time consuming