x

When you issue a refund, will the inventory automatically be adjusted?

If I issue a refund will the items from the sale automatically be added back to inventory ?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 25
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: When you issue a refund, will the inventory automatically be adjusted?

Hi there!

Wanted to follow up on this post. Exchanges with automatic inventory adjustments are now available in the Square Retail App. It's still on the roadmap for the Square Point of Sale app.

Learn more here

Thanks as always for being a Square seller!

1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

@VanKalkerFarms - You're correct. 

@sammy270 - While this is definitely a feature request we've heard from sellers, currently when you issue a refund, the inventory for the refunded item will not automatically increase. You will need to manually adjust your stock count from your online dashboard to reflect the returned item. I'll be sure to share this post with our product liaison team and update this thread if anything changes. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Super Seller

I do not believe that happens.  I know for sure it doesn't on partial returns because you are crediting them back a specific amount of funds not a specific item.

Message 2 of 25
Square

Best Answer

@VanKalkerFarms - You're correct. 

@sammy270 - While this is definitely a feature request we've heard from sellers, currently when you issue a refund, the inventory for the refunded item will not automatically increase. You will need to manually adjust your stock count from your online dashboard to reflect the returned item. I'll be sure to share this post with our product liaison team and update this thread if anything changes. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 3 of 25

I would second the need /desire for having a way to adjust inventory as an item is returned. Having to manually adjust it is very inconvenient.

Message 4 of 25
Square

@Ann36 - I'll be sure to pass along your feedback! For more details on the feature request process, I'd suggest checking out this thread. Also, thanks for taking the time to share! 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Message 5 of 25
Super Seller Alumni

Here's another vote for refunds affecting inventory.  More specifically, I use the reports to import the sales into my local software.  I need the items to be adjusted off of the daily Item Sales.

EDIT: I found that there is the ability add a column in Item Sales for "Items Refunded", so disregard my comment above 😉

Message 6 of 25

Hi @sciabica1936. I refunded a sale I no longer wanted on the system and couldn't understand why the sales figures remained the same and didn't remove the refunded sales from the days totals...is this what you are talking about in this thread? If so can you please explain a little more about how you went about manually 'fixing' it. Thanks so much!

Message 7 of 25
Super Seller Alumni

Refunds are always complicated, in any software, especially if they do not happen near the time of the sale.

Since sales usually involve a credit card, it's important to keep a "paper trail" of everything that happened.  That's why you can't really have a sale be "no longer on the system". 

Once a day is complete, you can not go back and alter the sales of that day.  Processing a refund will affect the day the refund occurred.  You can see refunds for any given day in the sales summary.

That being said, I think it would be nice if the Square Dashboard had a section dedicated to refunds (like it does for Discounts) that would give us an easy way to dig deeper into the when, why and who.

Message 8 of 25

Does the cash amount expected in the drawer adjust either? Or is that something you have to do mannually as well? 

Message 9 of 25
Admin

Yes if you enable Cash Drawer Management from the app cash refunds are recorded in cash drawer report

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 10 of 25

I am new to Square but it appears that my issue is long standing. My end of month report does not accurately adjust inventory or sales when a refund occurs and this is crazy.

Message 11 of 25

When I process a return, is there a way to make sure that the item is added back into my inventory count?

It would be so helpful since right now I keep having to go back to the main wesbite to update my inventory after a return...it also messes up my inventory tracking for the year.

Message 12 of 25
Square

@MajesticDragon - Check out this thread for the answer to your question. 😀

Sean
he/him/his
Message 13 of 25

Having a return put the item back into inventory is such a basic inventory function. Is the programming really that difficult? Since this thread is months old now, I'm surprised there hasn't been a fix to an issue that is clearly a huge negative to using SquareUp. Come on programmers!

Message 14 of 25
Square

@FantasticBooks - While I can't speak to the difficulty, I'm happy to pass along the feedback. For more details on the feature request process, I'd suggest checking out this thread. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 15 of 25

I cannot believe that Square doesn't adjust stock levels after a return. Unbelievable.

Message 16 of 25

Yeah, this is a little baffling that the system wouldn't do this automatically.

Message 17 of 25
Beta Member

I agree that this is an issue that should be requested. We were not aware of this issue and it has caused several inventory management issues. 

Message 18 of 25

I sell swim suits in several different sizes. We allow purchasers to exchange the suits if they do not fit. I can adjust the incoming inventory manually using "return" as the reason for altering it and I'm currently having to go into the item's size that the customer ultimately selected and manually change it using "re-count" for the reason. There is no monetary transaction at this point since the customer has already paid. Is there a way to process an exchange that automatically adjusts the inventory?

Message 19 of 25
Alumni

Hi @GTRGatorsTX - This isn't something that is currently available, but I've merged your post here so we can update you if something changes. Thanks for your patience!

Message 20 of 25
Square

Hi there!

Wanted to follow up on this post. Exchanges with automatic inventory adjustments are now available in the Square Retail App. It's still on the roadmap for the Square Point of Sale app.

Learn more here

Thanks as always for being a Square seller!

Message 21 of 25