x

Will Square ever make itself available to the Windows Surface and Phone Platforms?

Will Square ever make itself available to the Windows Surface and Phone Platforms?

I have windows phones, mostly due to functional necessities. However, I do need to use a swip card for upcoming conventions.  Will Square ever work with Windows Phone?  Or should I look into another service?

Also, being forced to "ask the community" instead of an actual square representative is more than a little disconcerting regarding how Square operates.

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Will Square ever make itself available to the Windows Surface and Phone Platforms?

I’m confused. Why are you not using Square Appointments? It’s free for individuals. I apologize in advance as I’m not great at going back and reading every reply in the thread.

44 Comments
Alumni

We don't have plans to make our app compatible with the Windows phone platform right now. Sorry for the trouble. You can always check out http://square.com/compatibility to find devices compatible with Square.

And you're never forced to ask the community. You can get in touch with our Support team via the methods outlined here: https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Questions-How-To/Where-can-I-find-my-customer-code/m-p/875#U875

My business runs on all Windows OS Surface devices and Windows phones due to the great way all Windows applications (Office Products), do you have plans on creating the App for Windows device. It will make it easier to run the SquareUp app instead of using the browser.

Alumni

We don't have plans to create an app for Windows devices. (And I've merged your post with this one, as the topic's the same.)

Sorry for the trouble. But I hear you, and I've passed along your request to our product liaison team.

Is there a way to do transactions on Windows devices such as tablets or laptops

Square

Though you can't swipe a payment on a laptop, you aren't limited to only Apple devices! 

Most major android phones and tablets will work with Square, along with Apple mobile devices. Visit our Compatibility page for a full list of supported devices. 

I have a new dell inspiron 11 which is a 2 in 1, computer and tablet, and would like to use this device with the card reader.  When I tried to download the app it only showed the two phones that I had and no other devices to choose from.  Will this work on a windows tablet or just a apple iphone or android phone?  

Super Seller

Here is the Device Compatibility page.  You have to have a device running either Apple iOS or Android. Your Dell isn't compatible.  https://squareup.com/compatibility

George, I hope you put a *lot* of pressure on your product-liaison team. We use Square primarily for online sales, but it's a significant liability for us that we can't use our Surface devices for transactions. A Windows 10 app -- universal platform -- kills a bunch of birds with one stone. Given the ease of development and the size of your organization, the only real reason you don't have a Win10 UWP app is political. And that makes me angry, as a customer.

We ended up buying an iPad mini just to do on-site sales during the summer season. That's a lot of money we're never getting back, simply to accept credit cards from our customers with a minimum of drama.

It is, I think, a pretty significant error of judgment to avoid Win10 UWP to focus on iOS-first, Android-second, nothing-third development models. Because you bet your bottom that if someone other than PayPal recognizes the marget gap, we'll leave you without a second thought.

Square Community Moderator

@jason1 Thanks for the feedback!

We always want to provide the kinds of solutions our customers are demanding. We're starting to see more momentum with Windows Phone and tablets, so it may make sense for us to support Windows in the future, but right now we are focused on Android and iPhone.