x
Beta Member

Will there ever be a way to send transactions from the Square Stand to Square Terminal for payment?

When we switched from our old merchant service provider to Square for payment processing, we already had a square stand/ipad set up that we were using as a POS and we bought the Square Terminal under the impression that, similar to other POS + payment machine set ups, we could send a transaction from the Square stand, to the Square Terminal. We soon learned that's not possible, and so have continued to to use the POS for staff to punch in transactions, and the Square Terminal to process payments as custom amounts corresponding to the given POS transaction.

We're a small cafe on a university campus and we do this because:

• Each staff works very few hours per week (being students) and they are all used to using the ipad POS
  • Sales are much faster to punch in on the ipad
  • Square's chip & contactless reader wouldn't really allow for effective tipping. Our staff & Square Stand are behind plexiglass. and we don't want to have to ask every customer what they would like to tip

The agent I spoke to back in September didn't really have any solutions for us, and so we're doing it as I described above.

Our main goals being to minimize transaction time, as well as steps involved, and to facilitate customer tipping, we're making it work but.. again, seems a bit silly that in offering both a POS system and a payment processing machine... there's no functionality to send transactions from on to the other.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Community Moderator

Hey @thegalley1,

We have heard this request before, but since both are designed to be standalone items there might not be a plan to ever make them work together.

That also would probably require making an entire new system to make them compatible so I can't say that would ever happen but I can't say for sure.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 3
Beta Member

I think a viable solution to this is one that we would appreciate is to have the UI on the Terminal (or in S4R, as in our case) have an option for being set up like the POS screens are. Having the ability to move the little boxes and set to be either categories or items, SO much faster for us.
Would love a UI that can look like POS available as a settings option everywhere on Square cashier devices.

Message 3 of 3