x
Beta Member

Call In Orders for Bakeries?

I just got the bakery pos system. I can't believe I'm the only bakery with this issue.....but I need to manage my orders. 

I have customers walk into the bakery / call an order in for a cake for a future date pick up. I see that under Tickets, I can accomplish this. However , All that open ticket information is only avaible on the screen

Question 1: Can open Ticket / Bill information be downloaded under dashboard or any other place ? You can imagine that at Thanksgiving where we do hundreds of orders... I need to have a live data base pharsing orders by pick up date. I can't mannually go in and check ever open ticket with hundreds customers.

Question2 If a sale is made today (ordered and paid) and it's for an order to be picked up several days from the sale date, how can the "pick up date" be captured and downloaded under the sale?

Thanks BakedbySusan Inc.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

In the same predicament here. The customer directory incorporated in Square is quite useless if you are taking an order now for future delivery. We enter the customer details in the notes section of the first item on the receipt. We need an option to print the name and contact number for orders.

Message 2 of 17
Square Community Moderator

Hi there. 

The open ticket information is only available on the device level, and unfortunately when using open tickets the notes added will not appear on a printed receipt. 

I'll definitely share this request with our Product Team so they can perhaps look for a solution in the future. 

Hopefully another seller can chime in with a workaround that they use!

Message 3 of 17
Beta Member

Well it's pretty obvious that the bakery pos system is squares basic app grouped under a specific retail group, "BAKERY" so as to broader its market appeal.   For bakeries,  It appears its pretty usless. Doesn't square  know that about 1\2 of a bakeries business is placed as..ORDERS ... This programs does nothing for capturing and using this data. 

Maybe next time square should work with a  bakery business to assist in providing this and other basic elements that bakeries can use.  

This basic flaw needs to be fixed For the square bakery app  to be a useful tool.  Please let your development group know that. Thanks 

Message 4 of 17

We have the same issue.  We have to use a manual 1-31 binder for all future orders to keep up with them.  Really wish Square could figure out a solution for bakeries!!!!

Message 5 of 17

I am looking for an alternative POS system and Square was at the top of my list until noticing this fundamental flaw. Small but critical functionality for bakeries. Please add!

Message 6 of 17
Beta Member

Every year (like I did today) at about this time I write to Square and ask them this very same quetion.  With so many bakeries using Square, I don't understand why they aren't trying to develop this feature.  Our Bakery POS system meanwhile is trying to duplicate square features, but so far hasn't been able to be as good and as SIMPLE of a register system.

Like other bakeries, we pay a monthly premium for our bakery POS, just to be able to place FUTURE ORDERS in a software program.  During the holidays and weekends, we tally them up, print lists, alphabetize them etc.   

The problem occurs when you take an order over the phone, or in person, and then have to do a second entry into a different software system.  This creates mistakes.  Yesterday we didn't make a 13 year olds birthday cake because the person doing the data entry put it into our software program on the wrong day.  This is our ultimate concern!  If SQUARE allowed the order to be placed on their system, the order could be emailed to the customer for review, and the details of the order would be only entered once.  

The online ordering system has some of what we need, except for the ability for staff members to put in the orders.  I've tried the Invoicing feature, but if the customer wants to pay right there, that is no good.  Both of these systems BENEFIT SQUARE, as they push the customer into paying by credit card vs. paying in the shop with cash.  And, we are charged a higher fee if they enter their card instead of paying in the shop with the card.  I do not take cards over the phone for this reason.  

Square knows that if they create this feature our customers will be paying in the shop some of the time, and those transactions may be with cash.  Do they not see it as a profitable feature?  What else could be the reason for them skirting around this option?   I am sure if they got it right, many of us bakery owners would pay a monthly fee for this feature.

Someday ???  

Message 7 of 17

A native Square POS Advance Order feature would be very beneficial to bakeries and other food-service businesses.

Message 8 of 17

I am having the same problem.

Whe customers order online more than 12 days in advance it is not allowed.  They have to put their requested pick up date in the notes area.  There is no way to run a report as to what is ordered for tomorrow let alone what is needed to be picked up today. 

If we are closed for a holiday (that is a regular busness day for us) a customer can order something to be picked up that day. We then have to contact the customer to change the pickup day.

It would be nice to have a calendar of future "closed" days.

I am looking into JotFrom to see if I can use that to hold orders.

Message 9 of 17
Admin

Thanks for your feedback @grannyscotts, I'm really sorry for the frustration the online store features are causing. 

Keep in mind, if you're using a laptop or computer you can download a CSV report of your online orders from the Orders tab of your Dashboard. 

I definitely see how it would be useful to be able to manage orders from an tablet/phone in store and to have a calendar displaying dates you'll be closed in future as well. I'll share this feedback with the Online Store team! If these features do become available in future we'll update everyone in this thread.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 10 of 17

The CSV is useless, because there is no way to sort by the "pickup date" or other custom fields. If 100 orders come in on the 20th for pickup between 21st-25th, for example, you have to print the sheets off and manually count orders. It's so, so, so much to put on a business owners plate thats already overflowing 🙂 

Message 11 of 17

A date option would be sooo helpful!  We deliver balloon bouquets and the check out process adds a huge level of difficulty for a simple order.  I should not have to go back to the customer to request a delivery address that was not added to the note section.  Many small businesses need an option for shipping and/or local delivery as well as an option for a specific delivery date for local deliveries. It amazes me that was requested in 2016 and nothing has been done to resolve the issue.  Something so simple could be a huge help to small business owners.

Message 12 of 17
Beta Member

Square! This is still an issue years later!!!

Message 13 of 17

Has this been fixed yet. I am looking into using square for a bakery/catering business.

Message 14 of 17
Beta Member

I think we can help you as well. We make an app for bakeries, connected to Square. Could custom code things to help your specific needs as well. Maybe not a perfect solution but it’s 100% white labeled to your shop. Would love to show you. Good luck.

Message 15 of 17

Interested in what you have. contact me at 303-986-6240 Larry

Message 16 of 17
Beta Member

It was very nice to chat with you Larry. Be well.

Message 17 of 17