x

Can I use the reader if there isn't a wifi connection?

I use my reader at out door concerts and hard to get a wifi connection.   How else can I take credit cards with out a wifi?  Tried to use my data plan on my cell phone and still no luck  

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: I use my reader at outdoor concerts selling food and beverages.

I have problems using the reader at out door concerts with my wifi connection.  I tried to use my data plan and just get a processing message.  Any other methods?

Message 2 of 6
Admin

Hey @mrbills07

You have a couple of options to consider for your business. Most of our Sellers who need a stable connection for outdoor venues tend to use a Mobile Hot Spot. These are usually sold by telecommunications companies in your area, and there is typically a small monthly fee associated.  This would give you the ability to create a Hot Spot anywhere.

You could also consider Offline Mode for your payments while you are on location.  Read more about Offline Mode here: https://squ.re/2VWAiOE.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 3 of 6

Kellyj:  I tried the hot spot but there are so many people using the wifi connection in the area where we do the conerts that we get a message "No Service"  I also tried my data plan with no luck.

Message 4 of 6
Super Seller Alumni

A hotspot can use your cellular connection to provide a wifi internet connection to other local devices which don't have cellular service.  Many recent smartphones provide a hotspot facility, typically through their Settings function.  If you're using either a iPhone or iPad, it will probably have a hotspot function. Check with your cell phone provider to see if your cell phone has this capability.

Judy T Shumway
Message 5 of 6
Admin

@mrbills07 I think it might be worth calling your cell phone/hot spot provider and asking them what kind of plan you'd need to be able to have better service at these venues. As kellyj mentioned you could use Offline Mode but it's important to read the Support Center article she shared before you decide if it's right for your business. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 6 of 6