x

Feature Request: Allow staff to clock in and out using a swipe card

Feature Request: Allow staff to clock in and out using a swipe card

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Employee Log-In by swiping Mag Card Suggestion

I would like to have my employees log-in to the register using magnetic ID's they already use for access control and other purposes at our facilities. 

I understand Square's concept is to keep things simple as well as profitable with additional sales lines (e.g. Gift Cards) which are produced through a specific vendor, however, for this pupose being able to use existing formats by swiping once to collect the data from the existing ID and associate it with an employee would be a win-win towards compatability with other systems and encouraging more businesses to sign up for the payroll services by making it easier to transistion from others.

36 Comments
Beta Member

That is a really great idea, too bad they don't have it. Also, one thing I would like to do is let the employee pick their passcode to login to the register. Right now it is auto-created, but a custom passcode would make it MUCH easier to remember.

This would be a great idea so you can set up commissions on certain extras they get and it can keep track on who is checking who out,  great idea

When this comes available please let me know. I have commission based stylist as well and i was wondering if the squares seperates their transactions.

Admin

Hi Everyone, thanks for sharing! We don't have a timeline for a magnetic strip card login or custom passcode login at this time, but we are tracking these requests.

I can definitely see how either one of these options would make your employee's workflow easier and more productive. I'll make sure your feedback gets surfaced with our product liaison team. Please don't hesitate to chime in with any other insight!

Beta Member

We want to issue employee cards to allow employees to tap their card instead of keying their access code to the get into the POS. Entering code, especially on a really busy night - can result in it having to be done hundreds of times - and is a HUGE time waster and bottleneck for us.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Hello @JPWilkinson

I've gone ahead and moved your post to the feature request board, since this feature is not available. I think it's an interesting suggestion, but currently it's not on our road map. If that changes in the future I'll make sure to update this thread! 

Beta Member

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Is it possible to have emloyees use magnetic Stripe cards to log into the POS?

Is it possible to have emloyees use magnetic Stripe cards to log into the POS?

Super Seller

Hello @Seth20901 !

At this time there's no way to use swipe cards for employee logins. You'll have to assign a four digit code for them to use.

I have seen this feature request before. Let's get @katieand or @Helen involved... 🙂

Beta Member

I honestley don't see why this feature has not been added. It's more secure to swipe a card than enter a pin number in front of other employees. Square please impliment this feature soon.

Beta Member