x

Extra cash at closing

We are experiencing something rather strange. For the last several weeks at our cash drawer closing we ended up with extra cash. It has happened consistently and amounts are always different ranging from $10 - $30 each time.  We review all the possible scenarios where we might be doing something wrong This same issue happened several years back and it seemed to have corrected by itself, but we never discovered what the issue was.

I know it's silly to worry about extra cash, but we wonder if there might be transactions in a given day that don't get recorded but come back to the system at a later day.

Is anyone experiencing anything like this, if so how did you solve it. 

We run over 300 transactions a day

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

I would say the first thing I would do is keep track of the cash sales part of your Square transactions for a day or 2 and see if somehow there is a $30 transaction not being processed or lost.  just keep a notebook and write down a transaction and cash total.

I have heard of a bug if you leave the Square POS sitting after a cash transaction but don't hit next sale for like 20 minutes it can lose that transaction, But I haven't experienced it.

If your logs are correct then the next thing is money handling I would say.  Are the employees shortchanging or improperly giving the customers change and that's why there is a surplus?

barring that I would say document what you can and contact Square.

Message 2 of 3

If there is any other devices that access/open the cash drawer make sure that cash tracking is turned on for those other devices... set the amount to zero... run a drawer report for all devices at the end of shift and any cash sales on those other devices should be added to whats expected in the drawer... you may find your drawer is actually way under for the day and not over.... you should run a daily ballance sheet.

Also any other device that is not tracking cash that opens the cash drawer is not going to be included in your drawer report. Thats right that money is more or less in the wind. Also if voids are enabled for the person taking an order it is very possible for them to input an order collect cash for it and go back after the fact and void the entire table and pocket the cash. It then wouldnt show as a loss when you do the report.(it would show under voids if your looking for it.) I had one waitress void 300 bucks in an hour in cash paying tables and run out the back door with our money like a smash and grab never to be seen again.

Also if you close down your drawer at any point in the day, then the drawer report no longer accounts for the previous cash sales that happened before you closed the drawer.

End of Shift Balance Sheet

1)Reg A Ending Amt._____                                               Reg A Beginning Amt.________

2)Reg B Ending Amt._____                                               Reg B Beginning Amt.+______

3)Check________                                                                Starting total____________

4)Card  ________                                  (PM Shift)Subtract AM Cash Sales-_______

5)Reg A Paid Outs_____                                                 PM Starting Total__________

6)Reg B Paid Outs_____

• Add#1-6___________________
  • Subtract Starting Total________
  • Total Collected______________
  • Over/Under________________
Message 3 of 3