x

How can I add a negative modifier?

How can I add a negative modifier?

I want to add a modifier that will decrease the price. How can I do this?

91 Comments

Thank you for your reply.

I completely understand Pasha's need for negative modifiers.  I was bummed.  My operation sells Sandwiches and Salads that people customize all the time.  What we did (or are planning to do as we have not rolled out SFR yet) was not charge for any modifiers and then add a separate modifier menu for "Upcharges".  Not the most elegant solution, but it will work for our needs.

SFR REALLY needs negative modifiers.  At the very least when the natural language selection "No" is used it should deduct that modifier amount from the item.

Love this post.  And I agree with everything in it.

Square should hire this guy.  @foodtruck I like the cut of your jib.

Super Seller

I too am looking for this option. We are making some updates to our menu and would also like the ability to add a negative modifier for vegetarian and vegan customers. I thought the discount might be a good workaround however, it only allows for percentage discounts on individual items, no $ options (I’ve always wondered why this is). 

Although we we do offer a modifier for a substitution in these cases (sub avocado for chicken) it’s not always a good option for some. 

I check back on the thread every few months just to check and see if anything has changed. @LovesThrift's response is the best I have heard and for those of you just starting with Square refer to his this response before you get your hopes up on a fix. It is not going to happen. Truth is, as LovesThrift pointed out. Square is a company that offers you what most will not unless you are an extablished merchant with years of history and deep pockets. It is what it is and the reason they will never offer these types of features is because it takes away from their third party market. For what it is worth, I have found somevery creative ways to bypass thes "features" so read on and find the work-a-round that suits you and your business the best.

What are you major pain points? I am a software developer currently building tools with Square. I am have being looking into building an affordable POS system with a kitchen display.

Would just like to add my +1 for this feature. However, given that is has been requested so many years ago and still not in place, not even in Square for Restaurants, I am assuming Square is not going to incorporate this, for whatever reason. We do currently use a workaround, as we do for many features that Square does not have. However, this leads to employee confusion, longer time to take an order- which hurts customer experience, table turn, and in effect....our bottom line. 

Here is why we use it, say a customer orders a sandwhich that normally comes with one side, but the customer doesn't want a side, just the sandwich. We reduce the price for no side. If we use the item variation, and the server uses the price for no side, we don't then have the option to not allow the server to choose a side. So the server could charge the cheaper price, yet still put a side on the ticket that goes back to the kitchen. So we have two totally different buttons for this. We had to take more of our time to set up the menu to accomplish this and train our staffa accordingly. 

Square advertises that Square for Restaurants is built for speed....it is not. It has a different user interface and a hefty price tag, that is not much cheaper than some larger POS systems. This one feature could help alot with the speed, but Square suggests ways to work around that actually take longer. There are also several little things that take longer in Square for Restaurants than "regular" Square. Crazy....

@ELK1 Square is not going to change it. They care about their 3rd party app line more than their customer base. They want people like you and me to just move away so they can seel the next generation with the smoke and mirror. I have a travel company and have been a square customer for over 6 years - from the beginning. I have seen so many features be DISABLED by square just so they can sell it bact to us in a 3rd party app.

Two weeks ago my wesite worked great, today I noticed all my embedded url's have been disabled. I called in to ask what was wrong and they told me "you set up a new app in your dashboard that controls your online coding". I have never set up any APP on my square account. 

Square does not care about long term customers, they car only about the emerging market. After today, I am convinced they could care less. Unethical at best - they should go to jail for screwing with my internet sales and disabling my website that has worked fine for years.

This is a really simple feature request and requires no greater coding by the developers than to allow negative values when setting up a modifier.  There is no rewriting formulas because the math is the same.  

You guys could accomplish this feature and deploy in less than an hour.

It is poor design and customer service to corral your customers into non-sensical restrictions that a 6th-grader could accomplish.  We (your customers) have a lot of work to do handling hundreds of customers daily, and this one extremely simple feature would allow a real-world response to a real-world situation that works according to how your customers think and work.  

No more convoluted work-arounds.  Allow negative values in modifiers, TODAY!