x

How can I add a negative modifier?

How can I add a negative modifier?

I want to add a modifier that will decrease the price. How can I do this?

91 Comments
Alumni

Hi @itsjustme

In my experience working food service, we only used positive modifiers. Discounts could be applied separately. 

I can definitely understand where you are coming from and know that you have to make the best decision for your business. If offering a cheeseburger with a no-cheese discount makes more sense for you and your customers, creating a discount for this will be the best way to handle it using Square Point of Sale. 

I don't have a timeline to share for the availability of negative modifiers, but I'll be sure to share the feedback with our Product Team

Hey, put me in the “I’d like a negative “ line too please. I use open tickets to run tabs for my customers, and sometimes they want to pay partial and I have to delete ticket( remembering the amount), punch in the payment as a manual entry, than open a new ticket with the remainder. Very cumbersome, but I haven’t found a better way. 

Maybe they don’t want a negative because they’re a processing co. and a negative is a refund ,idk. 

Admin

Thank you Munchiezmike1! I'm sorry that this is causing you extra work! I'll share your experience with the Point of Sale product team and if there are any updates we'll let you know in this thread.

Beta Member

Yes, please add me to this list of users requesting a negative modifer.

One example: we sell a certain hot tea (in 3 different sizes) that comes with milk. Some customers want the tea with water instead of milk. I need a modifier that will deduct the cost of the milk when people ask for it with water.

While there are some workarounds presented in this thread, they are all cumbersome.

There are now countless use cases of retailers requiring a negative modifier. I hope the product team will no longer ask why a retailer might need this feature and start updating the product to allow for it. 

Thank you.

Square Community Moderator

Thanks for sharing your specific business need for this @square_marc

This information is valuable to our Modifier team and they'll definitely use this to advocate on your behalf for these types of product updates in the future. 

Keep an eye out for updates 👍🏼

THANK YOU!! my sales rep quit calling me back after she kept giving me the same redundant responses.  Now I can't get her to return my call on new questions.  She made it sound like this was a new issue, but I can see that it has been a problem for a while.  when someone asks for NO BUN - it would be so nice to have a button that says "no bun" and then take 50 cents off automatically.  I understand that our employees can do a discount for 50 cents, but human error is much more likely to happen if they have to add an additional step to the process.   

Beta Member

I've been trying to do this as well, hoping it has been changed.  When someone gets a "cheeselss pizza" I'll give a discount when I catch a ticket, but have to tell the cashier everytime, or they don't do it.  And sometimes we are just too busy.  I think they would if a modifier was available.  For this reason, I don't have the discount on my menu, because theres a good chance they won't get it.

Alumni

No updates on this yet @Bluebirdpizza, but thank you for sharing your experience. It's especially important that you highlighted how when your business gets busy, it's an especially large painpoint. I'll be adding your valuable feedback to share with the team. 

I'd love to see a negative modifier and as someone just setting everything up, but with a few years experience in POS find it hard to believe Square hasn't added this feature yet. Please do. I know there are work arounds, but negative modifier seems to be the best way to make this happen. 

My example: We sell burritos and salads. They come with all kinds of toppings and fixings. Sometimes someone doesn't want something small and cheap like cucumbers and that's easy and I don't find it necessary to give a discount. But sometimes someone doesn't want something that is expensive like avocado and I feel it would be needed to give them a discount. Now, if I followed the advice from square then made things like avocado an add-on instead my staff would be spending all their time making sure they hit all the right modifiers to make sure the ordered item came out the normal way it should. Then if the staff misses something because we are busy then it would be a pain to fix. I know mistakes happen, but the whole point of a great new high tech POS solution is to reduce mistakes and not create more opportunities for them to happen. 

Please release something with negative modifiers!!!!

@Pasha Have you tried to use customizing modifiers? This may be a decent workaround. I really want negative modifiers to be a thing, but this might be the best option. It looks like it will take a little bit of setting up, but could be a good way to get pricing right and have staff not screw up the transaction. I may give it a go. 

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5696?utm_medium=web&utm_source=dashboard