x

How can I add a negative modifier?

How can I add a negative modifier?

I want to add a modifier that will decrease the price. How can I do this?

91 Comments
Admin

Hey @Pasha, interesting question! Negative modifiers aren't currently available, but I would suggest that you take a look at the discount option.

Learn more about discounts in our Support Center.

If discounts don't seem like a good fit, mind replying with a bit more information on why you'd like to create a negative modifier? I'll be happy to surface your feedback.

We sell hamburgers with vegan option on all of them. Since the meat is taken out the price decreases. We can't use this as a general discount since it only applies to our hamburgers. And we're not willing to add 25 new items for all the vegan hamburgers. It seems to me that square was released too early. It is incapable of performing up to a lot of the users' standards. 

Admin

Hi @Pasha, thanks for circling back with that. I'm a huge cheeseburger fan! 🍔👍

I would have suggested the separate items for vegan burgers as well, but I can totally see how the resulting addition of 25 items to your library would make things more cumbersome.

If I may, how would not including the meat in the original price work for you? You could then create two modifiers: one meat and one vegan. While this would add another step to your sales for hamburgers (e.g. you'd have to select "meat - $3" or "vegan - $1" each time), it would allow you to keep your item library lean — no pun intended. 😉

In all seriousness, I'll be sure to share your experience with our product liaison team. If anything else comes up, let us know. Thank you so much for taking the time to share!

I also am in need of the ability to add a negative modifier or create an item with a negative cost.

Is this feature in development?

I am also in need of a negative modifier and a percentage modifier both negative and positive.

With all due respect Tom. What is the big deal with square holding back on the discount or additional item modifiers.  Why do we have to change NORMAL ebb and flow of our businesses to accommodate Squares lack of basic features.  I wish someone would give us an honest answer and stop with the generic BS work arounds.  Every cash register since the beginning of time has had an add and subtract modifier both dollar and percentage amounts. What scheme is at play? Is Square trying to get us to spend more money??? Give us this basic tools! WOW how frustrating.
Your option: "I would have suggested the separate items for vegan burgers" Our Request: Add a negative modifier

Your option: "how would [feel about] not including the meat in the original price work for you?" Our Request: Add the modifier
Your option: "You could then create two modifiers: one meat and one vegan." Our Request: Add a negative modifier
Your option: "add another step to your sales" Our Request: Add a negative modifier
And I am so tired of hearing: "I'll be sure to share your experience with our product liaison team." what we want to hear is "due to overwelming requests and complaints for a simply discounted modifier square has pushed a button and now you can made a basic reduction to an item" If Square does not add this feature soon then I and convinced its a scam. I realize I am borderline here, but I have been getting this run around for years. THERE IS ANOTHER REASON WHY SQUARE WILL NOT ADD THIS BASIC FEATURE.  I have a feeling they would not be able to sell other services with it added. Please prove me wrong. Tom I know I beating up on you a little, but I am one ticked-off client. I am tired of getting this same run-a-round with square and these same generic answers.  Square ADD THE MODIFIER and let US decide how and what we want to sell. (Tom my frustration is with square not with you thank you for addressing this concern) 

I am not entirely sure from your explanation how you have your burger set up as an item so maybe this will not apply.

We are a pizzeria using square. For each combination we created one item, then set 4 prices for that combination. 1. Small 2. Large 3. Family 4. Gluten free. Each of those options has a different price but has the same modifiers ( additional toppings, cheese selection, etc).

Why not just add a second price option to your burger that is lebeled "Vegan" or some such, that has a lower price?

Using a discount would be more combersome in my opinion, but would definitely work.

I am in need of a negative modifier also. Please!  

I occasionally sell merchandise on installment, and need a way of reducing the final bill by the installments already paid.  These are not discounts, and it's confusing to be forced to categorize them as such.

Thanks-

Hi Feedback, I don't work for square, but I just wanted to give you a bit of my internal process on this, for what's it's worth.

I've been pretty frustrated learning some of the functions of square register because they aren't as expected from my extensive retail experience. An easy example of this is that cash isn't reported to QBO when using Sync. Bad enough every credit transaction is seperate. 

I finally "got" that they are a CREDIT CARD PROCESSING COMPANY providing me with a free and simple (and yes, simplistic) cash register pos function to lure me into using the credit card processing. Makes total sense, and because we have a super super simple setup, I wouldn't want to pay someone else an extra grand or two, nor become a linux pro to get a pos that's more exactly suited to my needs. Then I stopped my internal "grump" and so looked for work arounds. This is a free and integrated POS solution that works with my chosen credit card processor. I'm grateful to have it, and I'm still not completely settled on proceedures yet. But we are slowly getting there.

I hope this helps you find an easier place inside. From there you can gently decide to replace Square as your POS, or deal with it knowing the tradeoff. I wish you peace.

We have a lot of price points for each item. For example, I have Sandwich and under that I have the various options such as regular, half, vegetarian, grilled cheese, etc.... Each has it's own price. The register defaults to the first option in the list, so make that the most popular one.

I've created Modifiers that allow me to create combos under each of those for things like Sandwich + Soup or Sandwich + Salad. The modifier are prices are calculated to remove cost and add it back as needed manually (not automatically in square). I keep the first modifier as "No Combo" priced at zero to make it easy to undo combos. 

For some product iteams I actually have multiple sets of modifiers, for like adding extra cheese, bacon, etc... This allows me to keep the screens simpler with only what is needed for each item.

I would avoid using Discounts. It causes all sorts of problems with good reporting and accounting practices since it isn't really a discount but a different price point in your situation.

Not sure how one would create the negative items for things on lay-away or installment. The best option I could come up with would be to use Invoices with the item broken down into however many pieces. Each invoice can have different due dates and be paid separately. Not great, but an option. 

For a free POS, I've liked Square. Other systems are more feature rich, but either cost more or are more difficult to setup and train with. If you out grow it, look to the other systems and see if the extra expense is worth it.

Good Luck!