x
Beta Member

Rank top 10 customers based on their total spendings

Hi, 

Is there a way to rank my customers by their total spendings? I need to do some analytics work related to customer lifetime value for my pet grooming store, i.e. who are my top 10 customers, how can I group my clientele into groups based on their spending. 

Right now, the only way to do is to go into each client to look at their spending. Is there a more efficient way to export a spreadsheet of all my clients?

Thanks, 

Tien 

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Alumni

Hi @tien - In your Customer Directory, you have the option to sort your customer list by Total Spent.

You can add this column by clicking the + symbol on the right. You can place those customers in their own group, but the group will not update automatically and you would have to check in on this list to make sure that they are still eligible.

Hope that helps!

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 2 of 26

How do i get to this list? I go into my customer list and dont see that

Message 3 of 26
Alumni

Hey @SMW

Have you looked at @puka's post above and followed the steps provided there? 

Also, often times the + icon hides if the page is too big to fit your browser window. See if scrolling the page all the way to the right helps. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 26

hello 

I was gifted square gift card and I have issue reddeming it text me [personal information redeacted] or [personal information redacted]

Message 5 of 26
Admin

Hey @feranmi6687. I removed your personal info. Please refrain from posting that information since this is a public forum. You'll want to reach out directly to the Square business to which the gift card was bought from.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 6 of 26
Super Seller

The customer view allows you to sort by "Total Spent" but you can not filter for a time period.  For instance, I want to see top spenders for YTD and on a quarterly basis.  Is there a filter I'm missing which enables that?

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 26
Admin

@BMarxMed I merged your question over to this thread so you can check out Puka's answer above!

Bea_
Join the Beta Community
Message 8 of 26
Super Seller

Thanks @nika  but unfortunately that is not the answer. That column displays all-time aggregate spend. What I and many others are looking for is spend amount over a given period of time. For instance, I now have 5 years worth of customer data in Square, but my biggest spender of 2020 (if they’re newer to us this year) won’t even show in the top 20 if we use @puka ’s method. 

Message 9 of 26
Admin

Ahh yes @BMarxMed, I see what you're saying. Thanks for the clarification. There's not any new information I have to share in regards to sorting your customers this way. Really sorry. If anything changes, we'll absolutely make you and others here aware.

Bea_
Join the Beta Community
Message 10 of 26
Beta Member

Hello @nika 
I see that this question/request was put in back in 2019 and we still don’t have resolved this issue nor have a work around it. Do you have any updates?

Message 11 of 26

I have many recurring customers. I see in the year end email I’m given my top Spending customer, but how can I see the report form by week, month, or year, my top spending customers?

Message 12 of 26
Admin

@SMW Check out this thread for an answer to your question! This is currently a feature request, but we're still tracking the need from our sellers.

Bea_
Join the Beta Community
Message 13 of 26

Is this something that is being worked on?  I am really surprised and disappointed that a basic report such as sales by customer for a given time period is not available.  It is such a critical report to have and we definitely really need it!  Fingers crossed this is in the works for an improvement soon.  thanks!

Message 14 of 26
Super Seller

@nika  can we get a more specific answer from your product team on where this feature request sits on your roadmap?  Specifically, ranking customer spend by specific time frames.  After the Covid shutdown, some of our customers returned, some did not.  We really need these insights to better understand where to focus our re-acquisition efforts.  -Thanks!

Message 15 of 26

I am yet again flabbergasted at the lack of functionality.

Can you please create a report feature to view sales by customer?   I would like to know who my best customers are, and therefore be able to reward them, or learn who I need to better market to.

Message 16 of 26
Alumni

That type of customer report has always been available to you @CopyCopy1. From Dashboard > Customers add filters, like Total Spend, Avg Spend or Total purchases made. Once the filter populates on the report, click the respective column on screen to sort each customer in ascending/descending order. 

Hit the Export button up top to download a spreadsheet. To view each specific purchase, visit the Transactions tab. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 17 of 26

Justin,

I would like to thank you from deep in my heart.  Although I will say, your response is late for me.  I needed this report last Thursday.    I couldn't find it on my own, I searched the knowledge base, and then, I chatted real time with a support person from Square.    If you can find the transcript from that chat, it should be a good read.  But I'll summarize it for you.  That person told me that report didn't exist.   

So, I downloaded every transaction in the last year to a spreadsheet, sorted that spreadsheet by customer name, and then spent the next 6 hours going through it to group, and total up transactions by customer to find my top 10 customers.   

So, thank you for showing me how to do it for the next time I need this info, but maybe spend some time looking for the person who wasted all of my time and get them on board with what the software can and can't do.   

I know I would love to have all of that time back.   

Thanks for your help Justin!

Message 18 of 26
Super Seller

@nika  @JustinC   Any update on the feature request to view aggregate spend by specific time periods?  I.E. who was my top spender over the past 90 or 365 days, not just their lifetime Total Spent history in my Square database.

Message 19 of 26
Beta Member

I'm looking for this as well. I see the newer filtering options where you can filter customers' spending by a specific date range, but it doesn't show up that way once you apply it. It will show the total spent since they became a customer. Am I missing something? What I want is to see who my top spenders are this year and I want to see the dollar amount they've spent THIS YEAR. Thanks!Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 2.25.56 PM.png

Message 20 of 26

Agree - I need to know who my top customers are in a specific time range - so I can track.  Not overall spend.  My customers have changed dramatically through covid.

Message 21 of 26