x

Roles, Permissions & End of Day Reports in Square for Restaurants

I'm trying to get everything set to roll out my first Square for Restaurants POS system into the first of several locations.  I've had a live setup for some weeks now and have been putting it through its paces and I've run into a problem.  I give the role "Cashier" the kind of permissions I want for my kind of business (Quick Service), though Square for Restaurants is clearly targeted toward full service.  The "Cashier" role can't run an "End of Day Report" no matter what permissions I give or take away.

The issue is I want the "Cashier" role to be able to do many things, but not do voids, discounts, etc.  But I do need them to be able to run "End of Day" reports.  Does anyone have any idea how to get this done?

I could try to "nerf" a "Manager" role.  It seems like the titles of the Roles have no bearing on the permissions?  Does the name matter?  Any help is appreciated before I get on the phone with Square.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Alumni

Hi @cbenson - Here are a few articles on Employee Management, including getting started and some of the permissions you can grant/restrict. 

You're right that the titles of the roles don't have bearing on permissions. That is covered in the articles so those might be a good place to start!

Message 2 of 10

Well something is going on because I literally grant "Cashier" every single permission available and they still can't run a "End of day report".  I post here after reading through the relatively small amount of information on Square for Restaurants.   I have looked at your linked information and while I think it's great and valuable for others that may read the thread, the fact remains there is something wrong with the permissions on that particular report.

Message 3 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hey @cbenson

When you go to view this report, were you being restricted by a pin pad? Or was the button itself grayed out?

I reached out to our Restaurants team and they were able to provide some clarification around this.

The "Preset Roles" are only meant to be examples, and you should be able to configure any role to your liking if those ones don't meet your needs. 

If you have multiple locations, you'll want to make sure the employee you're giving permissions to has access to that location as well. 

Message 4 of 10

@EJ Gotcha, and that's what I did.  The "Cashier" role just seems to have some flag attached to it that won't allow the running of that report.  You get prompted for a code.  I started a new role called "Register" and gave them permissions for reports and they can't run it either without being prompted for a code.  However I created a role called Reports->POS and gave that role the Rune Reports permission and started an Employee Called "End of Day" with the code 9999 so they can run the report.

The odd thing is that the Register "role" has access to "Run Reports" and a bunch of other stuff and they can't run the "End of day report" the "Reports: POS" role I made ONLY has the "Run Reports" permission and they can.  It just seems very odd.  It works for one role but not the other.

Message 5 of 10

Now my user "End of Day" that was working is not working to run the report.  Unless I give my employees a manager code I can't generate a code (or allow them access themselves) to run the "End of Day Report"

I have no idea why it stopped working, but I really, really need a solution to this or I am forced to give out a code that give them way more privileges than I want.

Message 6 of 10
Alumni

Hi @cbensonSorry for all the trouble you're experiencing with these roles and reporting. I'd recommend giving our CS team a call directly. They'll be able to help you troubleshoot one-on-one so that you're up and running as soon as possible. It looks like your permissioning might be affecting something else and they'll be able to look more into your account (which we can't do in the community). 

Let us know what they recommend and if you have any trouble getting in touch with them!

Message 7 of 10
Beta Member

There is a Run Close of Day permission now. However, what actions does it allow the user?

Wasn't always clear since we don't have true Z reports.

Message 8 of 10
Admin

@irmg The Run Close of Day is a report that can be used at the end of a shift/day. It's important to note that running this report will close out all open checks and remaining cash drawers, and it will run your service report.

There's more information about in-app reporting for Square for Restaurants in the Support Center but if you have any other questions about this please feel free to post again!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 9 of 10

@katieand It looks like a "Run Close of Day" flag has been added has been added into permissions.  This is great!  It seems to be working perfectly for me.  Thanks!

Message 10 of 10