x

What "menu" in the POS is available for free just for activating a square account?

I am buying a small town bar (limited food such as frozen pizza and a few items made in an Air Fryer.  So no "kitchen" to speak of" so I don't need an elaborate system) and I just signed up with Square and was playing around with it.  

We don't take over for a month so I am trying to get set up in advance.  

It appears the system signed me up automatically for a "square for restaurants" trial subscription.  I don't have any intention of paying for this.  How do I tell what will and will not remain when the trial expires?

I don't wan tto waste a bunch of time creating a menu for the POS if it is going to go away later.  

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

It may be helpful to note that I haven't purchased tablets yet.  I am doing this on my laptop.  I did download the app on my phone and it doesn't look like anything i've seen on tablets in the video's i've watched.  

Message 2 of 9
Alumni

Hey @TheHog! You can find a detailed list of what features are available for Square for Restaurants and compare it to what is available in the free Square Point of Sale app. I'm pretty sure that if you have a limited menu, using POS should work out just fine for you.

@pessosices and @Ron - Do ya'll have any tips in regards to how you built your menu within Point of Sale?

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 3 of 9

I would love to hear how other people have set their menu up on the the point of sale. Mainly talking drink menus and beer selections and sizes.

Message 4 of 9
Super Seller Alumni

I'm sure building out a menu is a bit different on the Square for Restaurants Platform. We're just using POS.

My tip would be keep things as simple and yet as trackable as possible.

Our menu is built for speed so we don't track flavors of Ice Cream, since we have so many that change so frequently.

We have a different item for each size of each product - 1 Scoop Ice Cream, 2 Scoop Ice Cream, 3 Scoop Ice Cream, 1 Scoop Italian Ice, 2 Scoop Italian Ice, 3 Scoop Italian Ice, etc.

You could have your sizes as either Variables or as Modifiers - whichever works for you!

We like the sizes as different items, because it's a simple 1 click rather than 2 for each item, and it's easier for us to track.

There are so many different ways to do it, which is great to build out your own system for your own business!

Any specific questions you have that I could help with?

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 5 of 9

Thank you!  I am going to have to play with it more. I have a month before we open.  I am trying to find a couple inexpensive tablets (no apple products for me) and when I get them it will probably be alot easier.  

I will come back and ask questions once i get to play around more. I wish there was more activity on these boards!

Message 6 of 9
Super Seller Alumni

Great! Looking forward to it!

It's actually pretty active on here - I find people tend to jump in to answer questions more when there's something specific they can contribute - menu's are tricky, have a lot of detail, and are really personal, so as specific your question about your menu, the more you'll find people jumping in to help. Also not many people are on Square for Restaurants yet, so that could be part of it too!

But totally let me know how I and others can help!

Pesso

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 7 of 9

Hope your bar is doing well, and that you love it! After about five years with square, Iโ€™m still trying to make the register for my coffee shop as streamlined as possible. We probably make a small change every few months to see if itโ€™s more efficient/makes more sense in the kitchen. Itโ€™s defintiely an upgrade from the ancient system we replaced, and I enjoy the constant updates from the company. Iโ€™ve only just recently found these forums and Iโ€™ll be coming back frequently! Just wish there were photo boards - one thing Iโ€™ve always wanted was to compare how I have my screens set up to those of other similar shops, just to see how we compare/differ and take notes.

Keep on keeping on! Cheers.

Message 8 of 9

Welcome @waliflower!

You can add photos to your comments on the Seller Community! When creating a thread or comment you should see a little camera icon in the font settings. If you're having trouble finding it, just @ mention me. ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 9 of 9