x

How do I use Square for restaurant ordering?

Opening a fast casual restaurant. Is there a system with square where I ring in a customer order and that order is sent to the kitchen? Can't seem to find anything like this with Square. Thanks! 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Hey @Meggrolls81, we have a couple of solutions for you!

Depending on your kitchen's needs, I'd suggest either of the following:

Hope this helps you get in the right direction. Please feel free to contact out Support Team with any other questions, or reply here. 🙂

P.S. If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 6
Beta Member

Use the Fresh KDS plugin service with your Square Register.  $10/month, you can send orders wirelessly to up to 2 remote tablets, instead of using paper printers.  You can specify which menu items go to which tablet/display.  We use a single tablet to replace paper tickets and it works well. It's simple and works...no bells and whistles.

Message 3 of 6

I want to be able the above set up for a bar during an event.  The primary use case is to do it by order so we can track sales more effectively. 

Here is the use case

1. Customer pays for an order using the square app (need to also understand if I can do ordering through the square ipad app rather than square register app and then connect it to Fresh KDS).

2. Would like to send the order to customer on his phone (can this be set up as default for email or text) as well as to the Fresh KDS app.

3. Bar tender checks the order on the customer phone and matches up to the open orders on Fresh KDS app.

4. Bar tender does the drinks and closes the order on Fresh KDS.

Message 4 of 6
Square

@WonderWorx - Happy to follow up here. I'll just reply to each of your numbered points. 

1. Customer pays for an order using the square app (need to also understand if I can do ordering through the square ipad app rather than square register app and then connect it to Fresh KDS).

The Square Register app will need to be downloaded on your iPad. The cashier will place the orders on behalf of your customers. To use Fresh KDS, you'd need to Install their app on a compatible Android tablet. Here are more details. 

2. Would like to send the order to customer on his phone (can this be set up as default for email or text) as well as to the Fresh KDS app.

We don't currently support the ability to message customers when a order is ready, but I've definitely heard this feature request before in the past. As for Fresh KDS, the orders will automatically appear in-app when the order is processed on the iPad using Square Register. 

3. Bar tender checks the order on the customer phone and matches up to the open orders on Fresh KDS app.

You should be able to see any order from the Activity screen of the Square Register on all devices, as long as everyone is signed into the same account. 

4. Bar tender does the drinks and closes the order on Fresh KDS.

As long as as there is a Fresh KDS tablet next to them, I don't see an issue with this. 

Please let me know if I didn't get anything right, I'm happy to follow up! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 5 of 6

I've been doing that for quite a while. I use the free version of Square retail to do our takeout business. The user gets on our square.site location and places their order and pays. They put in when they want the order and it pops up on iPad and the kitchen display. Works great. 

Message 6 of 6