x

How do you track or account for paid outs?

I processed two $50.00 paid outs from my register. They reflect in the reciept printed when I end the drawer for the day but I see no tracking for this when I look at the sales summary. Based on the money in front of me and the Square report I am exactly $100 short. It says I took in X amount in cash today....but that number is exactly $100 less than what I have. It has not been stolen (before anyone suggests). How do you track or account for paid outs (other than the end o day slip pinted from the register)?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 74
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How can I view a report for payouts/payins?

Hi! Thanks for reaching out! You can view this information on the Square Dashboard under Reporting > Cash Drawers. You may need to scroll to the far right and click the "+" button to add paid in/out or even adjust the date in which you view the report. Here is what that will look like below:

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

2 Best Answers
Square

Best Answer

Your Sales Summary will still reflect the total amount of cash taken in, so any pay-outs in Cash Drawer Management will not be reflected there. However, if you review your cash drawer reports in your Dashboard, you'll be able to reconcile the difference. Hope that helps clarify!

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 74
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey @culinator! Thanks so much for clarifying. You should be able to see the exact same cash drawer reports on your dashboard that you can see on the POS app, but you are right, it does look vastly different as the  buttons may be in different places than you are used to :).

From an earlier post, you can view your cash drawer reports on Reports on your Square Dashboard. 

To view your cash drawer history:

1. Sign in to your online Square Dashboard from a computer/laptop.
  2. Click Sales from the menu on the left > then select Cash Drawers from options at the top of your screen.
  3. Click the date selector tool and select Last Year.
  4. Click a drawer session from the list to view details.

If you did a paid out/in, it will show on that cash drawer report even in the Dashboard, and will show any comments you made as to what it is related to.

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 74
73 REPLIES 73
Super Seller

what do you mean "paid outs"?  you took cash from the drawer like petty cash to give to someone? 

This link has info on cash managment feature of square register.  It contains info on recording cash in and out of the drawer.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5152-cash-drawer-management

Message 2 of 74
Square

Best Answer

Your Sales Summary will still reflect the total amount of cash taken in, so any pay-outs in Cash Drawer Management will not be reflected there. However, if you review your cash drawer reports in your Dashboard, you'll be able to reconcile the difference. Hope that helps clarify!

Message 3 of 74

Spenser, thank you for the reply. I should have been more clear with my question. I am aware I can use the cash drawer management from inside the app, however my tablet with the register is at my cafe, and I am attempting to balance my books from my home office using the square up log in page. Features are definitely different from tablet to home computer. Do you have knowledge of how to research cash paid outs from a home computer?

Message 4 of 74

Best Answer

Hey @culinator! Thanks so much for clarifying. You should be able to see the exact same cash drawer reports on your dashboard that you can see on the POS app, but you are right, it does look vastly different as the  buttons may be in different places than you are used to :).

From an earlier post, you can view your cash drawer reports on Reports on your Square Dashboard. 

To view your cash drawer history:

1. Sign in to your online Square Dashboard from a computer/laptop.
  2. Click Sales from the menu on the left > then select Cash Drawers from options at the top of your screen.
  3. Click the date selector tool and select Last Year.
  4. Click a drawer session from the list to view details.

If you did a paid out/in, it will show on that cash drawer report even in the Dashboard, and will show any comments you made as to what it is related to.

AshleyK
Message 5 of 74

Ashley, Thank you for the reply. finally someone made some sense of this.  Now I wish Square would make transactions searchable. 

Message 6 of 74
Alumni

You can search for a specific transaction on the Transaction page of your Dashboard, @culinator! This article includes a video of the search tool - you can search by Card Number, Item, Receipt Number, Note,Ticket Name, Device, Dining Option, Total, Discount, or Customer. All of the fields at the top of this page, including the calendar, are also clickable if you need to filter the search results. I'll include a screenshot of the drop-down menu here as an extra reference:

Valentina
Message 7 of 74

Hello Square- 

Like other posters, we are on Restaurant POS and do a high volume of paid outs. 

We need to be able to run a single report that reflects paid out by day, by employee.  Vs having to look at each Drawer as an individual, take down the amount. 

We have  20+ registers and our business does paid outs regularly.  Please guide us to a compiled report of paid outs or ask your dev team to make this a high priority. 

Thank you

Message 8 of 74

Thanks for adding your voice here, @GMLGLL

Other than the Paid-In/Out feature listed in this thread, the ability to comprehensively track pay-outs by employee is still considered a feature request.

I am passing your post over to our Product Teams now. We will be sure to update this thread when any changes to this feature come to fruition.

Thanks so much!

Joe
Message 9 of 74

I'm not sure that this applies to many of our concerns. What I need, as well as others, is a detailed breakdown of all "Paid Outs" from the cash drawer from January 2022-December 2022.

During that year I did a cash pay out to my laundry service every other week and every 3 weeks to my window washer.

I have spent hours trying to find this report and have come up empty. We need a tab for "Paid in/out" that we can quickly go to, select, day or month or year then print the report.

Message 10 of 74
Beta Member

Hello,

I want to view a report of all the days there were payouts/payins.  Is there any way to do this other than opening the Cash Drawer reports one by one?  Basically I want to see a macro view of payouts/payins, like who performed it, what day, what time, and reason. 

Right now it looks like I have to know exactly what day I'm looking for a payout and open the cash drawer of that day.  But lets say that I don't see a payout for that day, and I know a payout happened but maybe the day is wrong, now I have to search all the days to find the payout.

Message 11 of 74

Hi! Thanks for reaching out! You can view this information on the Square Dashboard under Reporting > Cash Drawers. You may need to scroll to the far right and click the "+" button to add paid in/out or even adjust the date in which you view the report. Here is what that will look like below:

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

AshleyK
Message 12 of 74
Beta Member

The servers do a pay out at the end of their shift for their credit card tips, so they pull cash from the drawer each night after settling their credit card tips.  There are rare occasions, now anyway, when I first came aboard they were paying vendors out of the cash drawer so I stopped that but we do have an occasion where small payouts are done from the cash drawer to vendors. I need to find a report that shows the total pay outs by month including the cash tips. It doesn't print on our end of day report at the POS and I can't find a report for it in the back office side either. This is making it very difficult to reconcile cash.  

Message 13 of 74

Hi @ChrisWin and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to a thread where this question has been answered already.

Check out the Best Answer above for details. 

In the future, don't hesitate to search your question first here or on the Support Center for your quickest answer too!

Ashley C
Message 14 of 74

Hi there! Wondering how we are able to process cash payouts on the Point of Sale app. Thank you!

Message 15 of 74
Alumni

Welcome!! This article should help, scroll down a bit @riversedge7000

Justin
Message 16 of 74

Hi @billkearns - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

I want to make sure I am understanding what you're looking for here. By "detailed breakdown" what information are you needing? A note explaining what the Paid In/Out was for?

If so, the Paid In/Out feature allows you to record transfers and withdrawals from your cash drawer. Cash paid in and out appears in the drawer history, with both the description you enter and the total amount in the drawer. Please Note: Cash drawer reports can’t be downloaded or exported from your online Dashboard at this time.

Please let me know!

Violet
Message 17 of 74

I would also like to know where one can see paid outs from the dashboard? And no, none of these answers help me.

Message 18 of 74
Alumni

Hi @TBuddah - Just to clarify - are you tracking cash sales in your Square POS and are "paid outs" taking cash out of that drawer?

There's a tab in the Dashboard under "Sales" (on the left hand side)" that includes "Cash Drawer" which Sean linked above. That tracks cash sales, but if you're looking for something else let us know!  

Message 19 of 74

Paid outs.. I am a small restaurant and occasionally my employees need to purchase food from the closest store.  They will take cash from the register and make the purchase,  example tomatoes.  When they "ring in" a paid out, they enter it in square as paid out and as tomatos in the description.  But I too am having a hard time finding out how to compile this data.  Definitely need a good answer.  

Message 20 of 74
Admin

Hi DawgonGrill! You can see the cash Paid In/Out history from the cash drawer history on an iPad. If you're not using an iPad in your restaurant you should see this information from your online Square Dashboard.

It sounds like you're not seeing enough information though. Can you share a bit more about your set up so we can share your feedback with the team? 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 21 of 74