x
Beta Member

Two locations (sites within Square online), similar items. Do I have to duplicate items?

Hi everyone, I have two locations that offer some items that are the same and some that are different. Some modifiers are also different in each location (ex. ice cream flavors vary on location). I *think* I should duplicate each item that's different and mark the duplicated item as only available at the 2nd location. Then from there, import that newly created item into my 2nd locations online item library. Would that be correct? I want to make sure I'm approaching it correctly and also see if there's a better way. Thanks, all!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

@schemjo I have battled with this having some similar items and some unique across 4 locations.  I found it is just easier to have each item as unique to each location.  Duplicate the common items and just flag it for each location.  What I did was Cheeseburger - OUC & Cheeseburger - RV & Cheeseburger - CCC.

Each one is a little different and will have a modifier set for that item like "cheeseburger - How it comes - CCC"

This is tedious at first, but administering the items from the point of sale for each location is much easier and cleaner.  I found it just got too much trying to code a modifier to one location and not another.

My 2c.

Donnie-M

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 4
Beta Member

Thanks so much! That's what I was thinking but wanted to make sure before I went and did all of that. Appreciate your feedback!

Message 3 of 4
Beta Member

You can use the same items and just turn them on and off by location in the ITEMS tab.  (Not the Online Items).  However, if you turn them off for BOTH locations then they will fall off your website and you will need to add it back when you offer again.  To get around that, I created a third "location" in square that is not accessible to the users (leave that location turned off) but leave the items turned on as available.  That way they remain available on your website and you can easily turn them on and off by location.

Message 4 of 4