x

Want to power my square point of sale system with a mobile hot spot. Possible?

Have a small cafe. Running internet to the building is a challenge. Has anyone powere a point of sales system with a Mobile Hot Spot? We have Verizon and a strong signal.

Message 1 of 12
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Thanks for the assist here, @SmokinZBBQ!

To answer your question @Garwig72, a mobile hotspot will work with Square Terminal. You would just need to connect to it as you would with any other wifi network. You can find the steps to do this at Connect to Your Network.

In regards to your iPad/iPhone battery, Apple would have more accurate information than we do on how using it as a hotspot would affect the battery life. My suggestion would be to have a backup portable charger on you to be safe. From personal experience, Mophie products have worked great when I have to charge my device on the go.

If you have more questions about how hotspots work specifically, I recommend reaching out to the network provider you plan to use as service will vary with each.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Beta Member

Hi Blue Sage,

We have a food truck so we are always moving around; we have the Square POS app on an android tablet and we use a mobile hotspot (via bluetooth) all the time and it works great! We have a small mobile hotspot through T-mobile that we normally use, but on occasion we have used the hotspot built into my Samsung Galaxy 7 phone which also works fine. In addition to the Square register we also have a contactless credit card reader connected and the hotspot supports both. Hope this answers your question.

Message 2 of 12

SmokinZ, I have a vending trailer and am interested in the new Square Terminal.  But as you know, there are several locations that you may not be able to pick up wifi.  I'm wondering if I use my iPad or iPhone as a Hot Spot for the Terminal, if it would work and if the battery on the iPhone or iPad would last as long as all day if needed to support the Square Terminal.  I've never used Hot Spot before.  Just need to know more about it.

Message 3 of 12
Beta Member

Hi Garwig72, we don't have the Square terminal so im not sure if the mobile hotspot would work. We use the POS Square register app on a Samsung tablet along with a contactless reader and they work great. Sorry i couldn't be more help, let me know if you find out an answer about the Square terminal.

Message 4 of 12
Alumni

Best Answer

Thanks for the assist here, @SmokinZBBQ!

To answer your question @Garwig72, a mobile hotspot will work with Square Terminal. You would just need to connect to it as you would with any other wifi network. You can find the steps to do this at Connect to Your Network.

In regards to your iPad/iPhone battery, Apple would have more accurate information than we do on how using it as a hotspot would affect the battery life. My suggestion would be to have a backup portable charger on you to be safe. From personal experience, Mophie products have worked great when I have to charge my device on the go.

If you have more questions about how hotspots work specifically, I recommend reaching out to the network provider you plan to use as service will vary with each.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 5 of 12

I am trying to use a Hotspot off my friends phone and although connected to their hot spot and the reader is connected it still says "offline". So I dont think it is possible...

Message 6 of 12

Hi VintageThistle,

As a user of Mobile Hotspot only,

The offline message has usually meant for me to disengage the current Wi-Fi connection, then reconnect  and check my Hotspot square connection. It usually then states connecting and it's fine.

I hope this helps and apologies my explanation is not in techy speak.....I'm not very techy.

Message 7 of 12

Hi there,

I am opening a food truck in just a few weeks that will not be at a fixed location but move from place to place (outdoor markets, events, etc.) Wondering if my mobile hotspot via Verizon will be sufficient to power the Square Terminal. I also plan to set up Bump KDS on an iPad device which I believe also uses wifi.

I know mobile hotspots can be slow sometimes, especially in crowded places or when there's spotty reception. But we'd love to not have to invest in a separate mobile hotspot device/data plan if it can be avoided. If anyone has insight on this I'd greatly appreciate it!

Message 8 of 12
Super Seller

@goldiesmv Yes & No.  Yes, your mobile hotspot will work.  We use it as a backup and it works fine.  I would give you the following tips:

1.  Make sure your phone has a plug in.  WiFi eats battery.

2. Turn auto updates off and set metered connections on.  Update your ipads when you are on wifi at homebase to save bandwidth and data.

3. Square is very low on bandwidth so you should be good.

The No part is that you can't take advantage of a network on hotspot.  I haven't used bump kds, but make sure you use a square stand with usb printer etc..  As long as you only need internet access you are good.  A separate mobile hotspot is much cleaner to use.  If you don't have service bumpkds may not work and you can't receive mobile orders.  You can process offline but it does have more risk.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 9 of 12

Thanks so much for this thoughtful reply! I think I'll give it a go with the mobile hotspot and see how it goes to start. Can always upgrade later on. 

Message 10 of 12
Super Seller

Mobile hot spots work and are great, the only issue that you may have is the potential of being in an are with no Service for the mobile hot spot. It really is a tricky thing to do with all the variables. 

Sometime running on offline mode and periodically connecting to the mobile hotspot to make sure transactions all process through may also help. 

Sayda Diaz
Message 11 of 12

I use my iphone as a hot spot and it works great with square. As I write I am plugged into a charger, which is charging my iphone, ipad and card reader. My mobile scanner holds a charge for really long periods of time, so I just charge it overnight for my next day at the show. Oh yeah, I have a printer hooked up too. It’s the whole ball of wax. I have Square Register at the shop, and with all these cool mobile devices that hook up when at shows… it’s the best. Hot spot or available wif-fi, you’re good to go.

Message 12 of 12