x

Cash Draw - default starting cash work around

Hi,

Does anyone else struggle with the cash draw settings? Looking for advice or a work around to the issue below..

I set the default cash at my starting float amount (£50). As I take cash during the day and take cash out to bank when necessary (Mostly in round numbers/notes) - I will always end the day with a slightly different figure depending on how much cash I've taken and if I've been to the bank.

When I close the draw the report is accurate. When I log in the next day and start the draw again it's reverted to the default cash setting which then makes it completely inaccurate. If I start with £50 float (default cash setting) the only way I'd get back to exactly £50 is if I clear the draw every night completely and bank everything apart from exactly £50 ..... which would require me to fully empty the draw each night (no need.. it's lockable and secure), bank more frequently or keep a separate record of what I've removed from the draw and put into a safe.

I can't see why the starting cash isn't the exact figure you ended the draw at the day before? 

Is the only way around this to write down my end of day cash figure (say £43.48p) and when I log in the next day and start the draw again, overwrite the default cash from £50 to £43.48p?

Message 1 of 5
Report Inappropriate Content
4 REPLIES 4
Admin

Hi @CFGC, thank you for your post!

if you have set a default starting float, this will tell the system that you always start the day with that exact amount. However, the default starting cash can be amended so if you are not starting the day with £50, you can edit this to make sure the correct amount is reflected. 

Alternatively, you can also leave the default starting amount at £0 so you can enter the correct amount in the morning. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 2 of 5

Hi Tra,

Thanks for your reply.

I'll ask the team to use the workaround of logging in, going to draw reports, finding the last date, opening closed draw report and finding the correct figure of what should be in the cash draw. Then going to start draw and overwriting the default setting (which I'll set to £0) to the correct figure. Or end draw in the evening and write the correct figure on a scrap of paper ready to input the correct figure the next day. 

I'm not sure who the developers had in mind with this default re-set feature, I don't think anyone is handling cash in this reginemted double handling way anymore. I would suspect it would suit 95% more users to carry over the figure from your ended draw than re-set.

Would be interested to get other users thoughts. 

Thanks

Message 3 of 5
Admin

Thanks for your feedback @CFGC! I've shared this with our Products team as well so they can consider developing this feature request. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 4 of 5
Beta Member

the reason why the starting figure the next day isn't the figure you ended with the day before is because things can go wrong,, somethings can be counted wrongly, and even more so if the person closing down the till isn't the person opening the next day the best way to make sure everything is counted is for it to be done blind (as in total not written down to just input the next day) and count it before opening till. this is what we do and this is what we done even before using square but a diff epos provider

Message 5 of 5