x

Invoices - Necessary?

Hi All,

I'm new to the whole business world and i was just wondering whether or not invoices are necessary.

I intend to be selling items soley through my website, with no recurring payments. I don't want to take the customers information myself and set up the transaction, i just want the customers to put their information in themselves at the checkout.

However, i've read online that invoices are necessary for tax purposes etc, so do i need them and if so, how do i use them from a online retail perspective?

Message 1 of 4
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Invoices - Necessary?

Hi @Lyssy, thank you for reaching out! What I'd also recommend is looking at our best practices guide for accepting payments online - these tips will help to protect you from fraud and disputes. 

1 Best Answer
Beta Member

Best Answer

Hi @Lyssy,

I donโ€™t believe invoices are necessary as long as you have sent the customer a receipt. It may be worth looking into a delivery note though, on there VAT would be included and so the customer has every bit of information. Itโ€™s better to be safe then sorry ๐Ÿ‘

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Beta Member

Best Answer

Hi @Lyssy,

I donโ€™t believe invoices are necessary as long as you have sent the customer a receipt. It may be worth looking into a delivery note though, on there VAT would be included and so the customer has every bit of information. Itโ€™s better to be safe then sorry ๐Ÿ‘

Message 2 of 4
Admin

Hi @Lyssy, thank you for reaching out! What I'd also recommend is looking at our best practices guide for accepting payments online - these tips will help to protect you from fraud and disputes. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 3 of 4

It very much depends on your business. For some, it's not important. But for businesses that provide services, invoices would quite often be really useful. God knows that's one of the reasons I started using Square, and Estimates too. But it isn't for every business, some don't need them, and that's fine. A receipt may be all that you need, but for some businesses, an invoice is pretty useful.

Message 4 of 4