x

Website suddenly not secure!

Hi, suddenly my website which has been running for years, is not secure. So customers can't make purchases; just as I've made a facebook ad for a time-sensitive workshop. I think it happened at the same time as I joined my weebly website with square. Could anyone please help??  Many thanks.

Message 1 of 17
Report Inappropriate Content
16 REPLIES 16
Admin

Hi there @mariamntn, thanks for raising this in the Seller Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that! 

Can you please post a link to your site here so I can take a look? It sound's like we may just need to reissue the SSL certificate here. 

Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question โœจ
Message 2 of 17

Hi Alegra, very many thanks! I replied yesterday but somehow my reply didn't arrive here...? anyway, my website is mariamountain.co.uk.  It would be amazing if this was a simple thing of reissuing a certificate. Why does it need reissuing? What happened to the old one?

Warm thanks, Maria. 

Message 3 of 17
Admin

Thanks @mariamntn.  

My mistake, having a look at who.is, your DNS records are slightly off: https://who.is/dns/mariamountain.co.uk. 

Currently, for Square Online, we suggest 199.34.228.164 (but these ranges are also accepted: .164 - .191)

In this case, you'll need to head to the Weebly side of things and edit the DNS records. 

Once the records point to Square Online's IP address, they will propagate within 24โ€“48 hours, and then the site will be secure again. 

I hope this helps! 

Breffni
Message 4 of 17

Alegra I need more information. Weebly has 3 different hosts with similar dns numbers. Do I change all 3 numbers? (*, @, www).

ANything else I need to know? The link you sent me to help doesn't give the details I need.

Can I just add this is really frustrating because it's not a problem that I've done - I've had to try and sort it out by myself. Just when I've added a time-sensitive event with advertising all pointing to booking on my website, which is out of action because of square and weebly. So please tell me exactly what I need to do!

Thank you.

Message 5 of 17
Admin

Sorry that my response was confusing @mariamntn

In this case, you'll need to update your IP address so that the A records match Squares. 

From your Square Online Overview > Website > Domain > Manage domain > Add/Edit DNS Record. 

Screenshot 2022-06-24 at 11.20.19.png

Currently, for Square Online, we suggest 199.34.228.164 (but these ranges are also accepted: .164 - .191). 

After doing so, your site should be secure within 24-48 hours. 

Breffni
Message 6 of 17

Hi Alegra, I had replied a couple of days ago but for some reason it didn't show up here. Do I delete the old A records?

My website is STILL down. 

Thanks for your help.

It would be great if telephone support would be offered. I could have resolved this in 10 minutes with someone instead of a week...and counting. 

So frustrating.  Thank you, Maria. 

Message 7 of 17
Square Community Moderator

Hi @mariamntn, sorry to hear that you're running into this. 

When you update the A records, you will need to delete the old ones and enter the correct DNS A records for Square Online as per the message from @Breffni. It can then take up to 48h to fully propagate. 

If you wish to talk to our team, you can contact our Support team here.

Emma
Community Manager, Square
Message 8 of 17

Thanks Emma, I didn't know and couldn't find a support line. I will have to ring them tomorrow.

meanwhile, how do I delete the old ones? I don't see any possibility of deleting them.

thanks. Maria.

Message 9 of 17
Admin

No worries @mariamntn, our support team will be able to talk you through the changes in real-time which should be helpful. 

From your Square Online Overview > Website > Domain > Manage domain > Add/Edit DNS Record.  

You may have to scroll to the right side of the screen to see the edit button. It should look like this: 

Screenshot 2022-06-28 at 09.27.20.png

Breffni
Message 10 of 17

Hi Alegra. Yes I've done that.

My question was, I repeat,  How do I delete the old records? I don't see any way of deleting them!

Message 11 of 17

Hi Alegra, I tried to contact the team with the link you sent. It's for people in the US and I'm in the UK. I went to the UK site, going round and round and couldn't find any way to speak to someone.

This is getting crazy. Could someone please answer my question, for the third time: how do I delete the old A records? I've added the new ones but can't delete the old ones. I can't see any possibility of deleting them and I've looked a number of times now.

PLEASE help me get my website back up and running! Is there a UK number I can ring? I'm desperate as I have an event in a couple of weeks that people need to book from my website. And it's been down for about 10 days so how many sales have I lost??? I appreciate that you are trying to help but this is not solving my problem quickly enough and the responsibility for my website not being secure only happened when I followed the instructions to join weebly with square.

Message 12 of 17
Admin

Hi @mariamtn. 

The phone number provided in the link above, 0800 098 8008 is for our UK support team. They are available by phone Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. If you call outside our working hours, you will be transferred to the US team. 

Please call our UK support team as soon as you can so they can walk you through these changes in real time, as I understand how important it is to have your site running correctly. 

We want to get this resolved for you as soon as possible! Thanks, let me know how you get on. 

Breffni
Message 13 of 17

Just for your information Alegra, I've spent about 15 min on the phone with them and they've just told me as I'm connected with weebly, this number is not the right one. I have to ring back from 2pm onwards and they will transfer me to weebly. Sooooo, I am trying to be patient yet again and will try again later on.

Message 14 of 17

Hello Alegra, you asked to let you know how I got on. Well, a nice woman helped alter the DNS records but it took a 45-minute phone call for her to get the job done!  Apparently I was meant to edit the records, not add new ones, which you might want to know about for the next time someone has this problem.

Anyway at my request weebly have given me a refund for all those days where my website was down due to these changes at their end.

Thank you for your help, Maria. 

Message 15 of 17
Admin

Hi @mariamntn

I'm glad to hear you got sorted and thanks for letting me know. 

I can fully appreciate that this type of information is better conveyed in person. 

Take care. 

Breffni
Message 16 of 17

HI Alegra, yes I hear you that you did say to edit the DNS records! I guess the bit that caught my attention was the screenshot from 'Tuesday' that showed the 'Add DNS record' box. Anyway it's all done and I appreciate your patience with my panic and frustration!

All the best, Maria. 

Message 17 of 17